Bonk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

Last year I went for a bike ride with a friend ,on the way back I started to feel strange and my foot kept slipping off the pedal I went as far as I could but had to stop ,my pal got me a energy drink and bar of chocolate .He called it the bonk your body needs energy it's a awful feeling so now I always have chocolate or something on me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
so now I always have chocolate or something on me.

It works better if it's in your stomach.

Always eat properly before a lengthy ride.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

It works better if it's in your stomach.

Always eat properly before a lengthy ride.
Yes that's right I learned the hard way we did stop for a coffee my pal had sandwiches and cake with him but I just had a coffee I always have chocolate and some jelly babies on me now.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Only happened to me once. It wasn't a long ride, maybe 25 on the Penine way.
Only 5 miles from home and everything 'went'......energy disappeared and I couln't carry on.
I had energy bars and drink so found somewhere to sit while I recovered. It is not a nice feeling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's never happened to me. Not in the dramatic way I read other people describe it, and certainly not something that can be remedied with a bit of food and drink. I tend to just get a gradual increase of knackeredness building up. That's like a ratchet - I can't turn it back by having something to eat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Avoiding the bonk is easy, it’s just a case of noticing changes in your perceived exertion and how much harder it’s getting compared when you started. Carry some food and drink on the bike and eat / drink if necessary. The bonk doesn’t suddenly happen, plenty of signs before if paying attention.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Only happened to me once. It wasn't a long ride, maybe 25 on the Penine way.
Only 5 miles from home and everything 'went'......energy disappeared and I couln't carry on.
I had energy bars and drink so found somewhere to sit while I recovered. It is not a nice feeling.
I was on the Wirral way done about 30 plus miles didn't know what was happening my pal knew straight away took some time to come right never skip having something to eat .

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Avoiding the bonk is easy, it’s just a case of noticing changes in your perceived exertion and how much harder it’s getting compared when you started. Carry some food and drink on the bike and eat / drink if necessary. The bonk doesn’t suddenly happen, plenty of signs before if paying attention.
First sign was my foot slipping off the pedal I thought there was something wrong with the pedal or my shoe .lesson learnt the hard way is the ones you remember.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Last year I went for a bike ride with a friend ,on the way back I started to feel strange and my foot kept slipping off the pedal I went as far as I could but had to stop ,my pal got me a energy drink and bar of chocolate .He called it the bonk your body needs energy it's a awful feeling so now I always have chocolate or something on me.
Have you considered a recumbent trike and clipless pedal's?:laugh:

Top Bottom