Bonking!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark10

My cycling partner and i have a 20 mile route that we use a lot. Which a fairly fast lumpy ride. 18mpr avg.

The problem i have is the last mile and half, it includes a short steep incline followed by a long flat stretch and a gentle up hill to finish. by the time i get there i have no legs left, ie. no power to get up the hill.

Can anyone tell me how to train/ride so that my legs last longer?

I also do 40 60 and 100+ rides but i always have the same problem, after about 20 - 40 miles, as soon as things go up hill i have no leg power to get me up there.

Any help would be great. Cheers

20 miles shouldn't cause you to bonk!

Much depends, though, on the the conditions: headwind, uphills, your form on the day, if you've had enough to eat and drink prior to, and during the ride.

You could also try cycling in a lower gear on the uphills; i.e. spin (faster cadence) instead of grinding (slower cadence).

OP
OP
M

mark10

maybe bonking is too strong a term, but i know that it hurts.

thanks for answering, ill try all the above.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Save some in the tank. I know what you mean having got back from the Peaks, speedo says 70 miles and having to climb several hundred feet to get home :tongue:. It's in those sort of circumstances just drop right down and spin, anything to get you home. That said if you're doing 18mph you either live somewhere very flat or should be giving us all tips xx(.

montage

God Almighty
I don't think science is going to help much.....just train the pain more often :becool:

Top Bottom