Bontrager Titanium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have a couple of days off. I need to take my daughter to her D of E expedition in the depths of Shropshire and then collect her the next day.

Tomorrow, I have decided to go fly fishing. Time of year, weather and the fact I have all but given it up as a bad job suggests yet another expensive blank! It'll be an afternoon and evening in the countryside if nothing else.

Tuesday I have had an unexpected urge to go mountain biking. I thought about taking the 1988 Saracen Kili with fillet brazed frame and Flexstem but, alas my shoulder is still very sore from the Merc based collision I had way back in spring.

That leaves this rather nice 1990 (I think) Bontrager Ti Race Lite. I am hoping the Pace forks hold pressure as they're due a rebuild. The kit is 'modern' but I hope, sympathetic to the frame. A mixture of XT and XTR with personal touches such as thumbshifter for the front mech to allow fine tuning to avoid chain rub.

Hydraulic rim brakes in the form of Magura HS-33s. I love these brakes and I'm hoping to avoid very sore hands and fore arms.

image.jpeg
I love the finish on this frame. There isn't a poor or even average weld on it.

image.jpeg

I do feel a little guilty about not using cantilevers on a frame designed for them but it hurts to stop these days.

image.jpeg

Old school bars. The extra thumb lever is to lock out the forks. 60mm is slightly too much travel for the frame but with me on it, there is plenty of sag!

Hopefully my shoulder will not take too much of a beating. Cannock chase, here we come!

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a couple of days off. I need to take my daughter to her D of E expedition in the depths of Shropshire and then collect her the next day.

Tomorrow, I have decided to go fly fishing. Time of year, weather and the fact I have all but given it up as a bad job suggests yet another expensive blank! It'll be an afternoon and evening in the countryside if nothing else.

Tuesday I have had an unexpected urge to go mountain biking. I thought about taking the 1988 Saracen Kili with fillet brazed frame and Flexstem but, alas my shoulder is still very sore from the Merc based collision I had way back in spring.

That leaves this rather nice 1990 (I think) Bontrager Ti Race Lite. I am hoping the Pace forks hold pressure as they're due a rebuild. The kit is 'modern' but I hope, sympathetic to the frame. A mixture of XT and XTR with personal touches such as thumbshifter for the front mech to allow fine tuning to avoid chain rub.

Hydraulic rim brakes in the form of Magura HS-33s. I love these brakes and I'm hoping to avoid very sore hands and fore arms.

View attachment 362514 I love the finish on this frame. There isn't a poor or even average weld on it.

View attachment 362521

I do feel a little guilty about not using cantilevers on a frame designed for them but it hurts to stop these days.

View attachment 362527

Old school bars. The extra thumb lever is to lock out the forks. 60mm is slightly too much travel for the frame but with me on it, there is plenty of sag!

Hopefully my shoulder will not take too much of a beating. Cannock chase, here we come!
I have to confess complete ignorance with regard to mountain bikes and what look very high tec machines to me but your bike looks like a load of fun....l may even have to find out more about such exotica :cuppa:

woodbutcher

Veteran
what no old non suspension the @woodbutcher collection ...sacre bleua even i have one

oh and that looks great enjoy
I live a sheltered life you know but l just saw this on ebay, l wouldn't want to spend that much on something l know nothing about but it looks fun. The neighbours would think l really am a potty " roast beef". They are more used to seeing the action l shared in Photo Gallery at the weekend.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Bu...882776?hash=item361c59d318:g:RWcAAOSwAPVZKtlQ

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
That front end is way too tall. It will handle like a dog. Early suspension forks, (I have Mag 21s, Pace and Tange Shock Blades) only had 40mm at best travel.

woodbutcher

Veteran
That front end is way too tall. It will handle like a dog. Early suspension forks, (I have Mag 21s, Pace and Tange Shock Blades) only had 40mm at best travel.
Yep, your comment proves the point that l am a complete "numpty " when it comes to mountain bikes....l hope you don't mind if l pick your brains on the subject!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I live a sheltered life you know but l just saw this on ebay, l wouldn't want to spend that much on something l know nothing about but it looks fun. The neighbours would think l really am a potty " roast beef". They are more used to seeing the action l shared in Photo Gallery at the weekend.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Bu...882776?hash=item361c59d318:g:RWcAAOSwAPVZKtlQ

Just go for a std early 90's non suspension Marin etc etc , nothing fancy and enjoy

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just go for a std early 90's non suspension Marin etc etc , nothing fancy and enjoy
Ok sounds like a plan....do you have a guide price in mind ? l don't want to spend loads on a bike lm unfamiliar with. The good news is that there are almost endless forest trails around here for "randonnee" so it will get used !!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
:eek:

6YMfG9j.gif

Top Bottom