Bontrager Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you need to service these or do anything with the bearings?
I cleaned the cassette on the rear today with WD40 as it was disgusting, and then I oiled down the back and down the front, but the bearings seems to be sealed in the wheel, so I wondered if I just leave them alone or do I need to do something with them?

cheers folks

Kev:smile:

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
kevin_cambs_uk said:
Do you need to service these or do anything with the bearings?
I cleaned the cassette on the rear today with WD40 as it was disgusting, and then I oiled down the back and down the front, but the bearings seems to be sealed in the wheel, so I wondered if I just leave them alone or do I need to do something with them?

cheers folks

Kev:smile:

they should be ok tbh :becool:

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
bontragers hubs are u normaly pritty gd :becool:

there made by dt swiss you see!!

wouldnt be surprised if u got over 10,000 miles on them before they need anything done!

kevin_cambs_uk said:
but the bearings seems to be sealed in the wheel

You mean they're cartridge bearings?

I recently replaced a pair of bearings on my commuter when a little bit of play developed after about 5k miles of all-weather riding (easy and cheap job if you use low-end bearings) .

But if yours feel fine then they probably are fine.

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Alien8 said:
You mean they're cartridge bearings?

I recently replaced a pair of bearings on my commuter when a little bit of play developed after about 5k miles of all-weather riding (easy and cheap job if you use low-end bearings) .

But if yours feel fine then they probably are fine.

I do like your Avatar
great game when I was a kid, still got a copy in the box !

andyhunter

you will have to maintain and service any wheels for the bike which some might need more than others depending on how much use and abuse and all the crap that would build up from wet rides but in saying that high performance wheels and wheels that have ceramic bearings and use different grease or oil would need to be regularly taken apart, cleaned, regreased and checked for any wear and tear for replacement parts i.e. bearings or paws or free hub etc.

Top Bottom