Booked for using phone while driving a lawn mower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So this gardner in Cardiff was using his mobile while driving a lawn mower on a public road when spotted by a bobby.
TBH I have never thought of it (tend to associate it with cars) but I suppose its quite obviously wrong.
To compound matters it was at traffic lights right outside a police station.
He faces a £200 fine and 6 points on his licence.

So this gardner in Cardiff was using his mobile while driving a lawn mower on a public road when spotted by a bobby.
TBH I have never thought of it (tend to associate it with cars) but I suppose its quite obviously wrong.
To compound matters it was at traffic lights right outside a police station.
He faces a £200 fine and 6 points on his licence.

Good,

Plenty around here still drive with a phone at their ear, not that much chance of being caught either, I have spotted the Police doing it as well,
Though that’s no excuse to do it.

Reactions: C R
I'm assuming that the ride on mower was the sort that is required to be registered as a motor vehicle/agricultural motor vehicle? If not, then plod has exceeded their powers and I doubt whether it will even get to court.

I guess it was, as I figured that if it wasn’t then it shouldn’t be on the road in the first place,

Can you ride a mower on the road without it being registered, legally?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What if he’d mown someone down?
Seriously though, he was still (not fully) in control of a motor vehicle, thus a danger to other road users.

Driving Licence category K - Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle. Everyone with a licence probably has the entitlement.

Think after that it gets quite complicated as to what a 'mowing machine' actually is.

Drago

Legendary Member
One of my favourite prosecutions was an old dear driving an unregistered lawnmower on the road. That was an expensive lesson she won't forget.

And yes, all mechanically propelled vehicles, whether classed as motor vehicles or not, are covered by the RTA, so the hobby was quite right to ticket chummy.

Top Bottom