Books you read, and reread again and again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
At university one book that I read and re-read and then returned to it at the start of my teaching career was

Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud. It was a better teacher of pure and applied mathematics than any of the maths lecturers that I sat in front of and it rescued me more than a few times when teaching applied differential equations when I started teaching A - level mathematics.

matiz

Guru
Skinheads. John king
Prison House. John king
Human Punk. John king
White Trash. John king
The Rider. Tim Krabbe

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Rider by Tim Krabbé.
In terms of cycling books, the only one I have ever throught was worth reading more than once was Tim Krabbé's The Rider, and that's worth reading many times.
I agree. It is one of the few books that I return to time and time again. I leave it a few years between readings so it isn't too fresh in my mind.

I may well be alone in this but it wouldn't be the first time I have picked up a book and got a long way into it before getting that deja vu feeling. We have a lot of books.
Happens to me too, I often get a long way into one before realising I've read it before

Same with films, I have very little attention span sometimes.
I once borrowed the same DVD from the local DVD rental store three times in one week. I began to suspect that I was drinking too much because I was forgetting what I had been watching ... :whistle:

At university one book that I read and re-read and then returned to it at the start of my teaching career was

Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud. It was a better teacher of pure and applied mathematics than any of the maths lecturers that I sat in front of and it rescued me more than a few times when teaching applied differential equations when I started teaching A - level mathematics.
That was the book I was working from when I went to Lanchester Poly in Coventry in the mid 1970s. He was a lecturer there.

I dropped out of that degree course after one year but decided to have another go elsewhere 9 years later and to prepare myself for that I went back to my school maths books and worked through them again. I not only read them from cover to cover but I also worked through every example and answered every question in Elementary Analysis and Further Elementary Analysis by Dakin & Porter (?).

I must have read 'K&R' many times (The C Programming Language by Kernigan & Ritchie).

ozboz

Guru
Re read
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
Catch 22
Colossus
Tom Sharp books

Autobiographys by
Alan Border
Viv Richards

Couldn't get on with
Terry Pratchett
The Simarillion or the Hobbit

On the whole , not an avid reader of books , but do like Cycling Weekly , magazines about varying things of interest to me

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Love Ian Rankin's books, same with Tom Sharpe, Milligan and Douglas Adams. (at one point I had every book written by them but things get 'lent' never to return.
I read 'Rich Man, Poor Man' every 3 or 4 years and used to read Luke Rheinharts 'The Dice Man' but that became another 'lent out' casualty.
Highlight of this Christmas was getting the latest Rebus book 'Even Dogs In The Wild'

GM

Legendary Member
Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Also, another Tom Sharpe fan here.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Nausea - Jean Paul Satre
Breaking open the head - Daniel Pinchbeck
Prometheus rising - Robert Anton Wilson

Last edited:

perplexed

Guru
Thomas Hardy:
The Return of the Native
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (I always need a few quiet minutes on my own after finishing this)
The Trumpet Major
Far From the Madding Crowd

(Can't stand Jude the Obscure though...)

Charlie Dickens:
David Copperfield
Bleak House

Homer: (plus a few other Greek bods, good window into their world)
The Odyssey

Stephen King:
Christine

Emily Bronte:
Wuthering Heights

C. Sansom:
The Shardlake series

J. Sandford:
Virgil Flowers/Lucas Davenport series

Mary Renault:
The King Must Die

There's a few more of varying genres, but these are the ones which spring to mind...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I like suspense and surprise in my books and films - neither of which I would get by taking the journey again.

It only works for certain styles of films. For example my fave film is Pulp Fiction. Watched it several times and watched it again a few nights ago. It's complicated with nuanced dialogue so there is always new stuff I hadn't noticed before

Books I've re-read:

A Man In Full by Tom Wolfe

Barbarians At The Gate by Helyar & Burrough

Top Bottom