BOOM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveK

Had my first ever experience of tyre explosion at 100psi yesterday, what a laugh!

Rim tape broke on the rear wheel and gave me a puncture a few days ago, so ordered new tape to replace both front and rear since its cheap enoguh and figured front would be next to go. Rear went fine, tape, tube, tyre, air all good. Took the front tyre and tube off (never done it since purchasing the bike and tube look pretty old), applied new rim tape, tyre, new tube etc. Start to :pump: tyre up, get to 100psi and BANG, blew the tyre partially off the rim and massive split down the tube. Girlfriend was in the living room with me and she absolutely filled herself haha. :laugh:

Pointless post but it made me laugh. Didn't expect a bang like that to come out a bike tube lol. Guessing I must have pinched the tube or something, doh, but learning exercise over.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
(makes note to self to wear ear-defenders next time I need to do this job) !

Shaun

Founder
My rear one (at 125psi) blew out on the road as an aggregate lorry passed me - thought I was a goner!!

It ain't 'arf loud - init??!! :eek:

OP
OP
DaveK

DaveK

Lol it certainly seems to be one of those moments that people tend not to forget. I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen again on my first ride on the new tubes after work today haha

oldroadman

Veteran
Only time I've had tyre explode was right outside Nice Airport re-assembling bike after flight. I've never seen so many armed Policeman react so quickly - after a millisecond when it appeared that I wasn't a baddy I had a very fine chat with a couple of very nice Nice Police fellows who were most interested in my cycling trip.
Nice from Nice...and there is a place called Nasty in Hertfordshire, draw your own conclusions!

Mallory

Had a latex tube explode cm's from my face :banghead: My god the noise it made was incredible!!! How i DIDN"T piss myself i'll never know,

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It happened to me with my previous rear tyre. For some reason it had a defective bead. On a 250km ride, when I was heading home but still had 100km to go, the rear tube popped loudly and the tyre unseated itself. A week later, the same thing happened on a commute home, then that weekend I was pumping up a new tube at home when it happened again. At that point, I just decided to throw out the tyre and put on a spare :rolleyes:. The tyre was a Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and the only defective one of those I've ever bought.

Crankarm

Guru
About 5 year ago the rear tyre on my road bike exploded, a Vitorria CX Pro iirc, when I rode over a very sharp piece of metal dross lying on Lincoln Road in Peterborough. The bang was like artillery going off. People stopped, people came out their houses and cats shot up trees. I inflated these tyres to 135psi. Tyre was knackered but fortunately using the card from the replacement Schwalbe tube box to make a temporary patch I made it home. I now carry a couple of pieces of old tyre as patches should it happen again to put inside any split tyre. But the bang was loud. Like a sonic boom.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had almost forgotten about this one.

First ever "serious" ride on a new bike with new tyres. Punctured after about 20 miles, managed to change it but in doing so I realised that the tyre had a small split in the sidewall. I had no idea what to do and when I pumped the tube up it started to poke out of the split. Being very inexperienced I didn't know what to do so I decided to hop on a train and head home, go see the shop I bought it from.

Little commuter train rolls up in Eadale, it's quite busy and I get on, prop the bike up in the luggage area and went to sit down. All ok for about 10 minutes then ........BANG!!!!

Tube had forced itself out of the split and exploded. Well, I felt terrible. All these nice old folk who had been out for a day's walking. I felt obliged to stand up and explain that it was just the bike, nobody had been shot, the train wasn't about to derail

fullcycle

I was helping a colleague with his at the back of work before as this happened, the warehouse shutters rattled and my ears were ringing til 9 that night!

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I sumtimes pop out to our leanto about 10-11 on a friday night to pump up my tyres and fill water bottles for a planned ride over the weekend. While doing this just about 3 weeks ago I had a tube go bang on me. It sounded like a bloomin gun goin off. And so did somebody else coz old bill were crawling up and down my road with spotlights pointed at the houses about 10min later. I kept my head down and said nowt.

Top Bottom