Boonen too fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
From cyclingnews.com

"Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen was once again too fast on the road and has lost his driver's license for the second time within a month. The Quick Step rider was stopped for driving 180 km/h in a 90 km/h zone shortly after midnight Wednesday morning and was also tested with an alcohol level of 1 permille, instead of the allowed 0.5 permille. He had to give up his driver's licence for two weeks"

Two weeks!!!!! 180 in a 90 zone plus booze!

domtyler

Über Member
What a role model for the kids eh?

How much alcohol is 1 permille? probably not much; I believe Gazza would disappear for days and would come back pist. Boonen shouldn't have driven though and then to compound things by ridiculous speeding. Two weeks doesn't seem like an adequate punishment/ deterrent, after all he'd done it before in the same month.

Keith Oates

Janner
Seems to me the punishment is far to lenient. Does he continue until he hits something or body before the authorities take notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kennykool

I am amazed at this quote from that article

"If Boonen is tested positive for cocaine, it's not a sports problem," he said. "There is no violation as, in out-of-competition tests, cocaine is not a forbidden substance for the World Anti-Doping Agency Code and UCI anti-doping rules."

Confused as to why UCI and World Anti doping are so strict only during competitions.

I hope nothing happens to Boonen though as he and Robbie McEwan are great to watch. Put this with Cavendish in a bit of form and we'll have some great sprints at the Tour. Green Jersey will be an interesting contest

briank

It depends on the drug.
Some, like testosterone, have to be taken over a period of weeks and then have a 'beneficial' effect which last for weeks longer.
Cocaine gets you flying within a few minutes but is only likely to slow you down the next day.
(Rather like drinking half a bottle of brandy during a race, or the day before. In fact, chuck in a bit of smack with the coke and booze and you have the three main ingredients of 'pot belge', a traditional pick-me-right-up for the second half of long races.)

peejay78

yes - and it's a shame, but considering the treatment meted out to mark bosnich and then adrian mutu, it was always likely.

boonen's loss is cav's gain, maybe.

Keith Oates

Janner
Cav could well benefit from the absence of Boonen but there are still plenty of others that will make him work very hard for any wins he may get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom