1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boonen too fast

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by rich p, 6 Jun 2008.

1. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

From cyclingnews.com

"Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen was once again too fast on the road and has lost his driver's license for the second time within a month. The Quick Step rider was stopped for driving 180 km/h in a 90 km/h zone shortly after midnight Wednesday morning and was also tested with an alcohol level of 1 permille, instead of the allowed 0.5 permille. He had to give up his driver's licence for two weeks"

Two weeks!!!!! 180 in a 90 zone plus booze!

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

What a role model for the kids eh?

3. walker

walker New Member

hmmm... I hope we are not seeing the Gazza of the cycling world appearing here

4. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Nah, Boonen has talent.

5. walker

walker New Member

so did Georgie Best.

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Best Best? :thumbsup:

It was the same with Andrew Flintoff a few weeks ago; he got off on a technicality, although he was obviously guilty!

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I bet most of the top cyclists are very fast drivers. You don't win 50mph bunch sprints by worrying about your carbon footprint.

8. How much alcohol is 1 permille? probably not much; I believe Gazza would disappear for days and would come back pist. Boonen shouldn't have driven though and then to compound things by ridiculous speeding. Two weeks doesn't seem like an adequate punishment/ deterrent, after all he'd done it before in the same month.

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Seems to me the punishment is far to lenient. Does he continue until he hits something or body before the authorities take notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. yello

yello Guru

11. kennykool

kennykool Well-Known Member

I am amazed at this quote from that article

"If Boonen is tested positive for cocaine, it's not a sports problem," he said. "There is no violation as, in out-of-competition tests, cocaine is not a forbidden substance for the World Anti-Doping Agency Code and UCI anti-doping rules."

Confused as to why UCI and World Anti doping are so strict only during competitions.

I hope nothing happens to Boonen though as he and Robbie McEwan are great to watch. Put this with Cavendish in a bit of form and we'll have some great sprints at the Tour. Green Jersey will be an interesting contest

12. briank

briank New Member

It depends on the drug.
    Some, like testosterone, have to be taken over a period of weeks and then have a 'beneficial' effect which last for weeks longer.
    Cocaine gets you flying within a few minutes but is only likely to slow you down the next day.
    (Rather like drinking half a bottle of brandy during a race, or the day before. In fact, chuck in a bit of smack with the coke and booze and you have the three main ingredients of 'pot belge', a traditional pick-me-right-up for the second half of long races.)

13. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

and banned from the TDF to boot :?

14. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

yes - and it's a shame, but considering the treatment meted out to mark bosnich and then adrian mutu, it was always likely.

boonen's loss is cav's gain, maybe.

15. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Cav could well benefit from the absence of Boonen but there are still plenty of others that will make him work very hard for any wins he may get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!