bordeaux river crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster

I am getting dropped off the EBE in Bordeaux this July and I want to cross the Pont L'Aquitaine and join up with the cycle track that heads towards the Atlantic coast. From the map it looks like the river crossing is a motorway in which case, is there a cycle track or do I have to cross somewhere else?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
From memory, I think there's a cycle path.
I was there about 18 months back, and I think I saw one.

wafflycat

There's various ways to cross the river. IIRC the big new bridge has a bus service for crossing the bridge - the information comes with your EBE info nearer the time. But fear not - there's loads of bridges you can cycle across.

Used the EBE to Bordeaux a few years ago. If the dropping off point and time has not changed, *beware* you get dropped off on the outskirts, in a grotty industrial estate when it is still dark. And in my case, in the middle of torrential rain, with thunder & lightning. And the cycle ride down to the river includes some steep downhills which are *interesting* in the dark and torrential rain.

But... if that happens to you, don't let it put you off. Bordeaux is a cycle-friendly city with friendly folk. Even if your spoken French is not good, make an effort to speak French (phrase book & dictionary being very useful aids) and you'll be made very, very welcome by the vast majority of folk. In the surrounding area, I came across what is my only experience of *useful* cycle facilities. The old rail lines connecting small towns & villages have been converted into shared use cycle/ped ways. Exceedingly useful as the gradients are gentle (get off the paths and you'll find some steep slopes in Entre-Deux-Mers area), plus the attitude of folk to cyclists - utterly different to peds over here. Add on that many of the old stations have been converted to cafe/bars often with small shops nearby and there are lots of opportunities to stock up on food and refilling of bidons. In the main tourist information place in the city, you can pick up a map of these interconnected cycle routes, which were well signposted. It's a place I'd happily visit again.

OP
OP
D

Dougster

Thanks for the advice. My French is reasonable so all I have to do before I set off is build up my stamina. I am really looking forward to my first tour.

asterix

Comrade Member
There certainly was a cycle track across Pont L'Aquitaine as I went across it a few years ago. Unfortunately they do seem a bit careless about such things in Bordeaux and put fences across or dump roadbuilding materials on them. But as others have pointed out, it's a great city to visit and there are other river crossings nearby. Watch out for the tram tracks!

Top Bottom