Bordeaux to Barcelona

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Well, Badalona actually. Leaving on my tod (due to fatso unfit pal) first week in September. Intend to camp in France and use cheap rooms in Spain. Can anybody recommend me a route for a 48 year old plodder? :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did this route on a tour a few years ago but I can't remember the route with any precision. I'll have a think about the stopping points though if it's any help. I camped.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Take a look at www.ffortissimo.co.uk - day 16 and onwards. That'll take you as far as the Spanish border without too much heartache in the way of nasty hills. All the GPS tracks are on www.wikiloc.com. The route starts on an old railway path, then essentially follows the Canal lateral du Garonne as far as Toulouse, and then the Canal du midi as far as the summit lock near Labastide d'Anjou. Most of that lot is on impeccably surfaced cycle routes or towpaths, with short road stretches.

The only thing I'd do differently if I was doing it again is just east of Carcassonne, where the route hugs the southern edge of a fairly wide valley rather too closely, on little vineyard roads which are falling apart. There will be quiet roads a mile or two further south.

srw

I should have added a few extra bits of information.

First, there is almost certainly a route which crosses the Pyrenees at the Western end - and there will certainly be high routes through the Pyrenees. Our route was deliberately chosen to be as flat as possible.

Second, from the Spanish border there are perhaps 20 miles more of tortuous coastal roads before you can strike inland on the plains down to Barcelona. I'd guess it's another 100 miles or so to get there. If we hadn't had to get back to work I think we would have been very tempted to keep going!

Third, there's a very useful website - www.canaletvoieverte.com - which includes the latest maps of the canals and bike routes I mentioned - two cover the whole East to West route. They include details of campsites and B&Bs. Paper copies are theoretically available when you arrive, but distribution seems to be poor. The section of the Canal lateral du Garonne we diverted to Montauban to avoid was the only section that our main guidebook suggested was unsurfaced, but signs on the canal suggest this was rectified this year and last.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Mine was a beautiful but hilly route through the mountains - Col de Peyresourde, Portillon etc. Very do-able and scenic.

Hhmm, maybe not do-able for me tho' :biggrin: I'd prefer this route but I only , realistically, have 10 days. I'll have a think, thanks again.

jay clock

Massive member
my bro has a flat in a small town called L'Escala about 50k south of the border on the coast. having been there dozens of times I can strongly recommend it, including the most spectactular stealth camping spot imaginable. PM me if you want details on how to find said spot!

Jay

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
my bro has a flat in a small town called L'Escala about 50k south of the border on the coast. having been there dozens of times I can strongly recommend it, including the most spectactular stealth camping spot imaginable. PM me if you want details on how to find said spot!

Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay, much appreciated. However, I'm camping in France primarly because I can't speak a word of French, but, I can speak decent Spanish, once past the border, it'll be bars, restaurants and rooms! I'd like to see the spot tho', you never know.

srw

Most of the French in the tourist industry do speak enough English that you can make yourself understood, and once you get past Toulouse, Spanish becomes the second language.

Top Bottom