Borders bike friendly buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies if already discussed - a search found nowt.

These

https://www.bordersbuses.co.uk/bike-friendly-buses

Came across one outside Carlisle railway station a few days ago - seemed very nice and I gather that you can get all the way from Carlisle to Edinburgh with them for £8.20 - usually I think with a change of bus at Galashiels or Hawick.

Anyone used one?

Am particularly interested in how any changes went.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are the bus drivers bike friendly too? :laugh:

What exactly do they mean when they say "diabled access takes priority"? Its not as if any disabled people are going to sit/be parked in a bike rack.

If they really gave a sheet about the disabled they'd be running buses with ramps, or with the air suspension that lowers itself to kerb height like in some other areas.

But, despite my usual Meldrew like crotchety moaning I do welcome the measure.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense

What exactly do they mean when they say "diabled access takes priority"? Its not as if any disabled people are going to sit/be parked in a bike rack.

If they really gave a sheet about the disabled they'd be running buses with ramps, or with the air suspension that lowers itself to kerb height like in some other areas.

Bike space is shared with wheelchair space.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So if you get on the bus with your bike at Carlisle, wanting to travel to Edinburgh, but then you get to Langholm (or wherever) and a wheelchair needs the space.......
Presumably you and your bike are turfed off the bus into the rain and the joys of the A7 to contend with?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So if you get on the bus with your bike at Carlisle, wanting to travel to Edinburgh, but then you get to Langholm (or wherever) and a wheelchair needs the space.......
Presumably you and your bike are turfed off the bus into the rain and the joys of the A7 to contend with?
Or wait for the next bus or the detour of the National Byway and National Cycle Network. But yes, it would be good to know their approach for this situation.

OP
OP
Blue Hills

The driver I spoke to outside Carlisle station was very friendly and happy to answer my various questions - very good of him as I think he was maybe on a bit of a rest period and it was clear that I wasn't going to get on - I was with my bike but was on another mission involving the settle carlisle railway, two or three pints in a nice spoons and a return ride on the glorious railway for a ride through the dales.
It's quite common for cyclists and disabled folk to share space on trains and for the disabled to be given priority.
Must say I was very impressed by the bus - looked very modern - could be a scenic and cheap way of getting to Edinburgh avoiding train hassle and expense - particularly on that day as I had got myself to Carlisle on the settle carlisle line for all of £1. East Coast trains to Edinburgh are of course now notorious for their lack of decent bike provision.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Interesting point but I would assume that once on you are allowed to finish your journey?

Interesting point but I would assume that once on you are allowed to finish your journey?
Or anyone with a folder could offer to fold it ... LOL! Of course they'd have to refund your money. Might be a way of doing a 'mystery tour' ...

These buses, especially when they connect with Northern Rail - whether or not you have a special offer train ticket! - seem offer lots more opportunities for exploration further afield. I can see a few days in Carlisle would be a worthwhile short break with more on offer for me than just the Solway coast, even if it's only trundling round a borders town without all the effort of cycling there and back.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I hope people use them as it will then encourage other bus companies to do the same.
As they're in Carlisle you could link with Northen Rail across to Newcastle.

The problem is that no one is expecting it. I don’t even consider buses for getting around with my bike. It’s a bit like good cycle infrastructure. It is so rare that very few of us jump on it when it’s next to a road. Because we assume it will be shoot.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
was on another mission involving the settle carlisle railway, two or three pints in a nice spoons
Mission: impossible. Not even Tom Cruise could find a nice spoons! :laugh:
It's quite common for cyclists and disabled folk to share space on trains and for the disabled to be given priority.
Extra bikes are often tolerated in unused wheelchair spaces and priority seat legrooms, but I don't remember any current UK trains where that's officially bike spaces and you do risk having to get off if a passenger wants it.

The Borders Bike Bus seems unusual in officially having what's called "multifuction space" abroad, but abroad bikes usually need paid tickets so don't get thrown off and there is a lot more space, with flipdown seats in some, often a whole floor of the train or bus.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Mission: impossible. Not even Tom Cruise could find a nice spoons! :laugh:

Extra bikes are often tolerated in unused wheelchair spaces and priority seat legrooms, but I don't remember any current UK trains where that's officially bike spaces and you do risk having to get off if a passenger wants it.

The Borders Bike Bus seems unusual in officially having what's called "multifuction space" abroad, but abroad bikes usually need paid tickets so don't get thrown off and there is a lot more space, with flipdown seats in some, often a whole floor of the train or bus.
perfectly wonderful spoons it was with excellent beer choice and quality and a very nice professional yet chilled barman - don't worry I won't be giving you directions to it - one of my favourites - it's particularly handy, especially with a bike if you know what you are about and has one very special rather rare feature i won't shock you with - i had some time to kill before a fixed time train - have used before and doubtless will again.

on main topic of borders bike buses have sent them a mail with two questions and will post again if I get a reply.

Top Bottom