Borders bike friendly buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
So if you get on the bus with your bike at Carlisle, wanting to travel to Edinburgh, but then you get to Langholm (or wherever) and a wheelchair needs the space.......
Presumably you and your bike are turfed off the bus into the rain and the joys of the A7 to contend with?
I had something similar when I was on foot. Without thinking I sat in one of the front seats with disabled priority. Two wimmen appeared with one in a wheelchair so I got turfed out and managed to squeeze in further back. When we arrived at the terminus they got off the bus, locked the wheelchair to a lamp post and walked briskly off along the street. Con artists to get the best seats with a view out the front window.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to enjoy parking in disabled bays in my old pickup. Quite often some self appointed do gooder would start having a go and id patienly listen...while unloading Mrs B's wheelchair from the rear bed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I used to enjoy parking in disabled bays in my old pickup. Quite often some self appointed do gooder would start having a go and id patienly listen...while unloading Mrs B's wheelchair from the rear bed.
Not sure how that's relevant unless you only had the wheelchair to get access to the parking space. Or were the bike racks in the disabled parking space?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Initial correspondence with border buses (I stress that I am not criticising their communications) indicate that at least at the moment use of these buses might be more complicated/problematical than I had hoped.
Will report back when I have more info - need to pull my finger out and fire off a follow up email.

This doesn’t look like it would work with a rear rack.
5CC870A6-D3EA-46D9-9865-2F3049411823.jpeg

IaninSheffield

Veteran
This doesn’t look like it would work with a rear rack.
View attachment 609657
Given that the two bikes are MTBs and the space looks quite tight, I wonder whether a longer wheelbase touring bike would fit?
That said, I still feel this is a step in the right direction and even if (possibly) not suitable for all cyclists in all circumstances, some sort of provision is better than none I'd argue.

Top Bottom