"Borrowed" tunes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bumsteer

TheDoctor said:
Would that be 'Millennium'?
I think it probably would. And did John Barry get a co-credit?

threefinger joe said:
Interesting thing about "borrowing" from Copland, is that you'd be borrowing things that he already borrowed! For example, Rodeo contains the old fiddle tunes "Bonaparte's Retreat" and "Miss McCleod's Reel".
Nice one, joe!

over the hill said:
There is some record on radio 2 at the moment that uses Rip it Up and start agian by Orange Juice from the 80s
Catchy but annoying.
I found myself singing that wretched Orange Juice song over the weekend when I was trying to replace a bottom bracket. Except I changed the words to fit the occasion: Strip it Out and Start Again...:rolleyes:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Somewhere I have on tape a BBC R4 programme called "Something Borrowed, Something Blue" which spent a fascinating hour exploring this theme.

Not been aired for several years now and well overdue a trip out of the archive.

goo_mason said:
Fish told me once that he'd 'borrowed' the melody for the "I'm losing on the swings; I'm losing on the roundabouts" section in 'Script for a Jester's Tear' from 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon' by the Small Faces.

Hum Mr Derek Dick where is he now?
I do miss him:sad:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Bay Runner said:
Hum Mr Derek Dick where is he now?
I do miss him:sad:

Still releasing albums & touring, I believe. I was a huge fan (and neighbour) in my teens, and enjoyed his solo work for about three albums. Then after that he didn't do it for me any more; I think he lost his 'magic'. Then again, it may be back again - just never listened to anything else he's done.

My folks still get a Christmas card from him every year though!

goo_mason said:
Still releasing albums & touring, I believe. I was a huge fan (and neighbour) in my teens, and enjoyed his solo work for about three albums. Then after that he didn't do it for me any more; I think he lost his 'magic'. Then again, it may be back again - just never listened to anything else he's done.

My folks still get a Christmas card from him every year though!

Thanks for the info I really liked the early Marillion albums, once Fish left it was just not Marillion IMHO. Kettle of Fish is the only solo stuff I have.

What would it been like if he fronted Genesis when Phil temporally departed the band a few years back ???

Crimbo card from him now there a nice touch ?

I had one from Ian Gillan after meeting him during my Navy Days many moons ago :evil:

Top Bottom