"Borrowed" tunes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Borodin was adapted for 'Strangers in Paradise'.

bumsteer

Deep Purple, blimey. We are showing our age! From the same era Emerson Lake and Palmer used to rip off, sorry adapt, loads of classical music: Janacek's Sinfonietta, Copland's Rodeo and Fanfare for the Common Man all spring to mind.

Andy Williams's Can't Help Falling in Love is one of many uses of Martini's Plaisir D'Amour.

The 1978 song If I Had Words by Scott Fitzgerald and Yvonne Keeley (featured in Babe) is based on the theme from the last movement of Saint Saens 3rd Symphony.

Does anyone know what's that song (Robbie Williams ??) which uses the twiddly theme from John Barry's music to You Only Live Twice?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"One of those things" by Dexy's uses "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon (Zevon is credited on lter re-issues).

raindog

er.....
Lennon nicked Chuck Berry's You Can't Catch Me for Come Together and nearly got nicked himself. :laugh:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
bumsteer said:
Copland's Rodeo and Fanfare for the Common Man all spring to mind.

Interesting thing about "borrowing" from Copland, is that you'd be borrowing things that he already borrowed! For example, Rodeo contains the old fiddle tunes "Bonaparte's Retreat" and "Miss McCleod's Reel".

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bumsteer said:
Does anyone know what's that song (Robbie Williams ??) which uses the twiddly theme from John Barry's music to You Only Live Twice?

Would that be 'Millennium'?

'Planet Rock' by Afrika Bambaataa had sample from 'Trans Europe Express'
Great tracks both of them.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Fish told me once that he'd 'borrowed' the melody for the "I'm losing on the swings; I'm losing on the roundabouts" section in 'Script for a Jester's Tear' from 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon' by the Small Faces.

Top Bottom