Bostin!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
aw kid

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I love the picture of cycle lanes that have been put in across Wolverhampton City centre. I knew it wasn't as big as Birmingham, but I didn't realise Wolverhampton was that small!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mike Bird in the classic motorists response: "No, we can't let bikes take over; they'll get in the way of the cars." As opposed to the cars, that never get in the way of each other?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Make as many bike lanes as you want, they're just a parking place for "Dazza wid dat Focus ST, wikid, init, yeah?"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
'Pop-up' emergency cycle lanes? Does this mean they will be even less useable, more ill-thought out and with increased dangers compared to the normal provision?
Call me a cynic but.....
We're hoping they'll be blocks and posts along current lane lines, as seen in other countries, giving lanes of 3.2m-4.7m width, but like you, I suspect our exceptional English councils will fark it up.

oldkit

Regular
More people would ride bikes in Wolvo' if it ever stopped raining!
It sits atop of a hill which seems to encourage the clouds to empty themselves at the first opportunity.
It's raining at me as I am typing this!:laugh:

icowden

Veteran
Walsall Council leader Mike Bird said: "I find at this point in time now, because there are less cars on the road, cyclists are taking ownership of the road.
"With the pop up lanes, cars would be mingling with riders on a regular basis.
"We are told we need to give cyclists more distance when overtaking.
"Suddenly, at this point, I see cyclists riding two, three or four abreast in the road. It makes it extra dangerous for cars to pass.

Simple solution Mike. TAKE A CHILL PILL AND DON'T TRY TO PASS :cursing:. I'm guessing these groups of "two three or four abreast" are probably travelling at between 15 to 25 mph. Walsall is built up and I don't see that there are tonnes of 40 to 60mph roads other than the motorway. So maybe just be patient and you will find the bikes aren't actually slowing you down.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom