Bother

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by adds21, 8 Apr 2010.

1. adds21

adds21 Rider of bikes

And I was so enjoying the commute in this morning...

[​IMG]

2. Simba

Simba Specialized Allez 24 Rider

How did that happen?

3. Matthames

Matthames Über Member

Ouch, don't you just hate it when that happens!!

4. OP
    OP
    adds21

adds21 Rider of bikes

Quite honestly, I don't know. One minute I was happily enjoying the countryside, and the next, the rear wheel stopped going round (and the pedals, which was the bit which surprised me more at the time).

I was about halfway into my 7 mile commute, but luckily could phone the wife and ask her to pick me up in the car... I gave up pushing / carrying the bike after half a mile or so because the rear wheel was locked solid, and the tools I had on me weren’t man enough for the job.

I took the bike to the LBS just now, and have it booked in for next week, but it looks like (maybe) the chain broke and took the derailleur with it, or maybe the derailleur simply went too far, and hit the spokes. I reckon it was probably the chain because I heard a clicking noise (in time with a chain rotation) just before it happened. Yes, yes, I should have stopped when I heard it!

Ho hum.

5. The chain doesn't look broke :biggrin:

6. biking_fox

biking_fox Veteran

Has your mudguard stay come loose and jammed in the deraileur ?
    Looks a right mess. Glad you're ok and that you could get collected! Nothing worse than a long walk home with a seriously broken bike.

7. OP
    OP
    adds21

adds21 Rider of bikes

Yes, of course you're right :smile:. I mean that one of the links half popped open. I certainly could see a link which had failed on one side, but that could have been effect, rather than cause.

8. PK99

PK99 Guru

happened to me recently resulting in:

New:
    gear hanger
    rear mech
    front mech
    chain
    casette
    gear cable
    two chain rings

9. HaloJ

HaloJ Rabid cycle nut

Sounds like a great excuse for an N+1 :biggrin:

10. OW! Bet that caused a pain in the wallet pocket ! :biggrin:

11. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I had that happen once when I was ascending towards manchester from ladybower. Stranded without even a mobile signal.

Only had to wait five minuted till I hitched a lift with a couple of lads heading towards salford-dropped me at my door! Phew!

12. Matthames

Matthames Über Member

I had something like this happen to me in the middle of nowhere (Usually does with this sort of thing!! :biggrin:) The result: New chain, rear dérailleur and new rear sprocket. Being a steel bike I was able to re-bend the drop-outs to make them straight again. I was damn lucky my rear wheel escaped being damaged, that would of probably pissed me right off as I had lovingly built it that weekend.

13. jig-sore

jig-sore Formerly the anorak

i had this happen at the end of last year, turns out the limit screw on the rear mech had come loose and it traveled to far and hit the spokes.

all limit screws now have lock-tight applied :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice