Bottle cages that actually work!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out on a ride at the weekend, where the roads are, ahem, a little rough going down hill, I lost one of my water bottles. I didn't notice as it was a little wet and I had just realised how ineffectual my brake pads were in the wet (about to get some kool stops!).

I had to cut the ride short due to loss of the spare fluids. ;)

So what bottle holder/bottle combinations actually work and are not too expensive (no carbon fibre please!). Currently I have blackburn cheapy (bottle came out of this) and a Tortec cheapy, with some cheap HiFive (I think) bottles.

Ta

Have you considered using some sort of hydration system such as a camelback when your out on a ride that is likely to be rough?

I thought the main point of a bottle cage was relatively easy access as the last thing you'd want to do is fight with the cage to get the bottle out particularly while moving.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It is roads I'm on (just rough roads!)

Not fussed for anything on my back, but I agree, I'd want something that I could get the bottle out with relative ease, but that didn't let them bump out so easily!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If you have metal ones, just bend them in abit. Thats what i do when mine get abit lose.
The bottle will then fit snuggly in the cage. It may be slightly too tight at first, but that will soon losen up after abit, to the perfect setting of tightness and slackness.

I'm just using 2 spesh ones on the Sirrus, they're a bit like the Tortec ones but a little flatter at the mouth (or whatever its called) they seem OK. I'm using ones with plastic end caps on the Bianchi but I can't remember what make they are but seeing as I bought them they won't have been dear.

monnet

Guru
Elite Ciussi's work well for me. You can pick up old stock from CRC for about £4 if you're not fussy about colour, otherwise they are about £10 a go. Worked fine over the cobbles of Flanders for me.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for all the advice guys and the offer of bottle holders Gerry!

I've already ordered two of the Bontrager Race light holders.

I'd already tried bending the holders I have, but the roads were very bumpy!

If anyone cares, I'll let you know how I get on :smile:

Top Bottom