Bottom bracket advice request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are no servicable parts in the BB. It's a sealed unit, square taper, so unless it's worn out in which case you replace it, there's nothing to do.

SheilaH

What is wrong with the BB? If it is smooth, and there is no play then best left. If not, get a BB tool, an adjustable spanner, and whip it out (Right hand side has a left-handed thread) and replace with one that has same length axle

Ajax Bay

Guru
this bike... https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urba.../marin-san-rafael-ds1-hybrid-bike-2016-p14110
Any suggestions as to what tools i need [to 'service its BB] and what replacement bracket i will need
It has a "Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Square Taper" - from your link.
I'd echo the 'if working OK, leave it be' messages (above).
Sheila;) has given you the tool list. It may not come out easily - the BB 20-spline tool has a weak interface with the threaded BB sleeve and after 5 years the steel and aluminium will resist divorce.
A replacement BB will need to be the correct width (68mm or 73mm) and its spindle will need to be the same as you have currently.
The BB shell width is easy to measure. The spindle less so, even once you've taken off the cranks.
A very good cartridge (Square Taper) BB is Shimano's UN-300 (the image below is a 68mm one with a 123mm spindle) - widely available (@ £20+).
1612974470168.png

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The spindle size is almost always printed on the sleeve - but you have to take the unit out to read it. This might mean refitting the worn one while you wait for a replacement.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the worn one
Sfaik there is no 'worn' BB in this thread (see OP). Once the cranks are off you can get a reasonable approximation of the spindle length trying to minimise parallax. But whip it out, measure/read it, clean/grease/pop it back in; ride a bit (if warm enough) and when its replacement arrives you know the old one will spin out and the job will be an assured 15 minutes.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
It has a "Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Square Taper" - from your link.
I'd echo the 'if working OK, leave it be' messages (above).
Sheila;) has given you the tool list. It may not come out easily - the BB 20-spline tool has a weak interface with the threaded BB sleeve and after 5 years the steel and aluminium will resist divorce.
A replacement BB will need to be the correct width (68mm or 73mm) and its spindle will need to be the same as you have currently.
The BB shell width is easy to measure. The spindle less so, even once you've taken off the cranks.
A very good cartridge (Square Taper) BB is Shimano's UN-300 (the image below is a 68mm one with a 123mm spindle) - widely available (@ £20+).
View attachment 573245
Thanks for the advice and to the others as well. The bb is defo done for, play in the cranks and makes a right old noise going uphill. Will get the tools and replacement bb and sort it!;

Chris S

Legendary Member
Sfaik there is no 'worn' BB in this thread (see OP). Once the cranks are off you can get a reasonable approximation of the spindle length trying to minimise parallax. But whip it out, measure/read it, clean/grease/pop it back in; ride a bit (if warm enough) and when its replacement arrives you know the old one will spin out and the job will be an assured 15 minutes.

446d2b03f45d301cc9567385d58925c6.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
If you have digital calipers you can measure overall length just by taking cranks off.

Just got a square taper cartridge BB from Halfords for about £9.00.

Gunk

Guru
If it has no play just leave it alone, they are notoriously difficult to remove, this is what I had to use to remove one recently.

Top Bottom