Bottom bracket bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Hi all,

Attempting to glean some information regarding the difference between 'standard' bearings for my bottom bracket and 'ceramic' bearings.

My bike is under repair for the above and i have been offered ceramic bearings fitted for £30 or replacements under warranty for free, albeit with a 2 week delay.
Any advice?

Sheldon had this to say on the subject ...

Most bearing balls are super-hard steel. Lately, some suppliers have been promoting very expensive bearings that use ceramic balls.

These are a silly gimmick, aimed at gullible cyclists with too much money. They have no real benefit in practical use on bicycles. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

As for me, I've never tried them.

Fiona N

Veteran
If all the parts are ceramic or stainless steel or Ti, then it's worth it if you want long-lived bearings in a position likely to have a hard life. The lack of corrosion is the key thing but it's no good if the bearing races are just ordinary steel - more corrosion prone than even the usual steel balls.

Usually I reckon a good quality sealed bearing cassette is better value but doesn't seem that's an option for you.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
If all the parts are ceramic or stainless steel or Ti, then it's worth it if you want long-lived bearings in a position likely to have a hard life. The lack of corrosion is the key thing but it's no good if the bearing races are just ordinary steel - more corrosion prone than even the usual steel balls.

Usually I reckon a good quality sealed bearing cassette is better value but doesn't seem that's an option for you.

All i know is what the LBS have told me, which basically the original bearings are from a poor batch and Cannondale recognise this and have offered replacements of a different grade/batch. The shop however, have suggested the ceramics at the discounted price. All of which just confuses me :wacko:
They did show me the bearings in the 'race housing' which were grey covered and the newer ones once they get them are black. Two week delay on those hence the offer of ceramic (at a cost)

The quoted advantages of ceramic over steel bearings are

1. They are harder wearing.

2. Less friction as ceramics can be made "more round" - grade 3 to 5 - so better performance.

If they are not a lot extra then I'd give the ceramics a whirl.

Top Bottom