Bottom Bracket Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velohomme

I have just aquired a mid nineties Bianchi frame. No BB or headset. The seller told me he thought the BB was Italian thread. Having just calipered it I measured 69mm which is neither English or Italian. Any ideas anyone?

midlife

Guru
Have you got some bb cups lying around to try? Given the thickness of any paint that's near enough 68mm though?

OP
OP
velohomme

velohomme

Unfortunately no. The points where I measured it had no paint on either. I might speak to my LBS to see what they have lying around but that would probably count as a non essential journey. Might have to use it as a keep fit from home ride. Thanks for replying.

midlife

Guru
Just thinking if there is a way of working out if the drive side has a right hand thread? Running a pin around and see how it travels?

Reactions: mjr

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I used to have a mid nineties steel Bianchi and I’m pretty sure it was Italian made and BB thread.
E217EB70-4B08-4F82-A164-070881BD4868.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unfortunately no. The points where I measured it had no paint on either. I might speak to my LBS to see what they have lying around but that would probably count as a non essential journey. Might have to use it as a keep fit from home ride. Thanks for replying.
Bike spares are "essential necessities" which is why bike shops are allowed to remain open, just like car spares shops. Buying parts to repair your vehicle should be okay with all except the daftest policeman.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A BB shell width of 69mm would not be an issue I think. Have no experience of Italian bikes, only old Raleighs, which have 26TPI instead of the standard 24TPI. One way to replace the cartridge on these is with a threadless one, but not sure if the same is true for Italian bikes?

Yes you can use thread less on Italian steel

Top Bottom