Bottom Bracket Help ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grayduff

Über Member
Sorry for the daft question BUT, it seems my bottom bracket needs replacing, it is grinding and making strange noises, my question is can i replace the Shimano Sora bottom bracket with an Ultegra bottom bracket. :wacko:

Cheers in advance..

young Ed

Veteran
Sorry for the daft question BUT, it seems my bottom bracket needs replacing, it is grinding and making strange noises, my question is can i replace the Shimano Sora bottom bracket with an Ultegra bottom bracket. :wacko:

Cheers in advance..
yep should be able to
what frame?
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
yep should be fine then
i was mainly asking about frame out of interest but also if it would have been an old classic english it could well have had the classic english BB thread but yours is the complete opposite a nice modern standard
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
if you bought brand new in 2013 then depending when you bought it shop you bought it from may replace for free
also unless you have covered many many thousands of miles on it it really should not have already failed! standard expectancy for any BB is absolute minimum of 5000+ even that is very low
Cheers Ed

the snail

Guru
Those BBs aren't interchangeable, one is octalink the other is hollowtech. You need to find out which type your crankset is and buy the same type, with the right spindle length.

young Ed

Veteran
Those BBs aren't interchangeable, one is octalink the other is hollowtech. You need to find out which type your crankset is and buy the same type, with the right spindle length.
Even with new cups or cone things
Don't they use identical threads?
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Even with new cups or cone things
Don't they use identical threads?
Cheers Ed
The thread isn't the issue - the interface with the cranks is different so you have to replace with the same design of bottom bracket or replace the whole chainset.

Assuming it is an octalink BB (probably with Sora), Shimano do them in Dura Ace spec (Link).

The easiest thing would be to remove the BB to confirm what the OP already has and what will fit in its place.

Incidentally @young Ed, the classic English (as you put it) and modern ISO threads are interchangeable. Not sure what you mean by the OPs frame being the complete opposite. :scratch: You'll find this article useful as it explains the differences between the various standards including the ones no longer in common use.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
The thread isn't the issue - the interface with the cranks is different so you have to replace with the same design of bottom bracket or replace the whole chainset.

Assuming it is an octalink BB (probably with Sora), Shimano do them in Dura Ace spec (Link).

The easiest thing would be to remove the BB to confirm what the OP already has and what will fit in its place.

Incidentally @young Ed, the classic English (as you put it) and modern ISO threads are interchangeable. Not sure what you mean by the OPs frame being the complete opposite. :scratch: You'll find this article useful as it explains the differences between the various standards including the ones no longer in common use.:thumbsup:
sorry i forgot about the different types of crank ie square taper, octalink etc and yes the ultegra BB is octalink
and what i meant by the complete opposite was meant to mean that he had a modern frame with modern standard threads in rather than the old english thread as i thought they weren't interchangeable
what is the difference between the old english standard and the modern standard then?
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
what is the difference between the old english standard and the modern standard then?
Cheers Ed
To all intents and purposes, there is no difference. The modern standard is based on the old english standard. Possibly you are confusing it with old Nottingham made Raleighs, which used Raleigh's own threading that isn't compatible with anyone elses.

young Ed

Veteran
To all intents and purposes, there is no difference. The modern standard is based on the old english standard. Possibly you are confusing it with old Nottingham made Raleighs, which used Raleigh's own threading that isn't compatible with anyone elses.
i dunno!
so basically there is no old english standard and a modern standard just one simple standard
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
i dunno!
so basically there is no old english standard and a modern standard just one simple standard
Cheers Ed
Effectively, yes. There is a very, very minor difference between the two but not enough to prevent them being interchangeable, so you could fit a modern chainset to a classic British frame if you wanted to (as long as it wasn't made in Nottingham.;))

young Ed

Veteran
Effectively, yes. There is a very, very minor difference between the two but not enough to prevent them being interchangeable, so you could fit a modern chainset to a classic British frame if you wanted to (as long as it wasn't made in Nottingham.;))
nottinham always got to be awkward haven't they?
Cheers Ed

compo

Veteran
The old Raleigh threads to which I think Ed was referring are 26 threads per inch whilst the English standard are 24 threads per inch. It gets slightly more complicated as many Raleighs will have English threading. I have a couple of pairs of Raleigh 26TPI cups and a couple of pairs of Raleigh 24TPI in my spares box.

uclown2002

Guru
sorry i forgot about the different types of crank ie square taper, octalink etc and yes the ultegra BB is octalink
and what i meant by the complete opposite was meant to mean that he had a modern frame with modern standard threads in rather than the old english thread as i thought they weren't interchangeable
Cheers Ed

You sure?

Top Bottom