Bottom bracket moves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick54

Hi folks,
Just wondering what your thoughts were,i have a new cube attain 2020 and just noticed tonight that there is approx 2 mm sliding movement on the bottom bracket,is this normal or should it be looked into?
Pretty sure if its a fault then should be covered under a warranty

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sounds as if it's not properly preloaded or wave washers are missing. Did you get it from a shop or by post?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds as if the preload tension on the LH crank hasn’t been adjusted. So much for German efficiency. Is the crank itself also loose? If you’ve bought it on line rather than have the hassle of taking it back phone up your supplier and ask him to send you the little plastic tool to do yourself. I would also ask for the Hollowtech tool for the bb as they may also have omitted to tighten that too, often the two tools are combined.
Heres a video which explains the fitting and adjustment process:

View: https://youtu.be/QqBtB8Kyl2U

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mick54

Sounds as if the preload tension on the LH crank hasn’t been adjusted. So much for German efficiency. Is the crank itself also loose? If you’ve bought it on line rather than have the hassle of taking it back phone up your supplier and ask him to send you the little plastic tool to do yourself. I would also ask for the Hollowtech tool for the bb as they may also have omitted to tighten that too, often the two tools are combined.
Heres a video which explains the fitting and adjustment process:

View: https://youtu.be/QqBtB8Kyl2U

Appreciated m8,the only movement i have is sliding inwards etc,no slack in other movements. Just waiting for a reply back from the supplier on how we can move this forward,cost a lot of money so want it working as it should

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tredz is Halfords so they should do the right thing by you. I’d opt for a fix rather than sending the bike back and forth when it could easily get damaged.

OP
OP
M

Mick54

Hi folks,
Just wondering what your thoughts were,i have a new cube attain 2020 and just noticed tonight that there is approx 2 mm sliding movement on the bottom bracket,is this normal or should it be looked into?
Pretty sure if its a fault then should be covered under a warranty
Thanks folks,
No reply from treadz but bought the tool required to tighten up the bottom bracket,i already had the torque wrench.
Just took a few minutes and all is sorted now,thanks for all your replies

Top Bottom