Bottom Bracket on a Ridley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Take the old one out , it should have it written on it assuming its a square taper
1323863269475-rjta08eqld1b-500-70.jpg

If its an external hollowtech BB mine has the specification written on it on the bit between frame and crank arm
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkCba2LC1OAKdB0OfWdw_EHUCmk5x8Dpm5tmgf-quNmsCAHgBqPQ.jpg

ayceejay

Guru
The crank set will have a name on it someplace (probably on the arms) this will tell you the manufacturer and this is a good place to start, it will be something like FSA or Shimano.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Yep the chainset is an FSA Vero 50/34t

I contacted the shop where the work was carried out, for some reason they can't tell me the make and model of the bottom bracket but they can tell me it's a 68mm x 110mm English thread, which I think, is all I'd need to know if I ever wanted to upgrade it?

So, forgive my ignorance, but if I wanted to upgrade the chainset I would have to replace the bottom bracket with another 68x110 bracket that was compatible with whichever chainset I wanted to use, so powerspline or square taper? Is that correct?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

It's the top chainset you linked to, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-vero-square-taper-compact-10sp-chainset/rp-prod78792

If I wanted to upgrade that chainset to something a bit better, like a Shimano Ultegra CX70 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/fc-cx70-cyclocross-chainset-ec029470 chainset, I would have to replace the bottom bracket too?
According to the literature I found it uses a Hollow Tech II type bottom bracket. So I would want a 68mm Hollow Tech II BB like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/ultegra-6700-bottom-bracket-ec019748 This BB only appears to come in one size, so how can I be sure it will fit my frame? Or have I picked the wrong bottom bracket?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
from evans Qand A
Replacement is straight forward but you need different cranks (Hollowtech II type) to go with this bottom bracket.
Difficult part is to prepare your frame before fitting hollowtech II bracket first time on the bike. Basically you have to face the frame to avoid future problems. The term refer to making sure the surface of the BB are "parallel" to each other respectively. There is a very expensive tool required to do this. I suggest you get this done in one of Evans workshops.
Imho unless your chainrings /BB is toast i would wait untill they are before upgrading as although its supposed to be a bit stiffer i doubt in the real world you can tell much difference .

ayceejay

Guru
Some dealers offer the Shimano Ultegra complete with bottom bracket others (like Evans) sell it separately , the size you need is the most common. If I were you I would have a competent mechanic do this for you as there may be compatibility problems with chain/cassette etc.
You didn't say why you want to upgrade or if you use this bike to race cyclocross. This may be of interest because if you go for a compact road chainset you will have a wider choice. Or is it the bb only that is the cause for concern?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

To be honest, it's more out of curiosity and consideration for the future. The LBS have changed the chainset and BB for me, and I'm pretty happy with what they've done, I just wanted to know how I'd go about changing it again in the future. I know the chainset they've used is an "entry level" one so thought it may need upgrading some day. I don't ride CX yet but it's on the hit list.

Top Bottom