Bottom bracket problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
I'm getting a periodic rattle / clicking sound from the BB area when pedaling. It's not all the time, and the noise is more aparent when coasting as opposed to pushing hard.
I get the rattle for 4 or 5 rotations, and usually goes away if I'm keeping a constant speed.

Does this sound like a loose bearing or something?

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
Also, I mentioned this to my LBS when I got the bike serviced last week. They didn't bother to look at it, and said I would be better just living with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noise could be anywhere - you need to remove parts, regrease, and put together.

Check:-

Cleats, pedals, cranks, BB is tight, chainring bolts. Mech alignment, something catching.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm getting a periodic rattle / clicking sound from the BB area when pedaling. It's not all the time, and the noise is more aparent when coasting as opposed to pushing hard.
I get the rattle for 4 or 5 rotations, and usually goes away if I'm keeping a constant speed.

Does this sound like a loose bearing or something?

Sounds very similar to a problem I had recently. The guy at the LBS rotated the pedals backwards with the bike stationary, and said he could "feel" the bearings were not quite right. New BB, and the problem went. I wouldn't just live with it, as it will only get worse.

Top Bottom