Bottom bracket problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I purchased an old raleigh frame in order to build it in to a bike just to nip to the shops/allotment on. The problem is the b/b was grinding and coming loose so I changed it, however it is still coming loose, any ideas what the problem is? It is the standard square taper type!

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
how do you mean "coming loose"?

did you change the BB for a sealed unit? if so, if its coming loose the frame might of gone from round to oval.

if you changed just the bearings the axle might be bent, or your not doing up the lock-ring quite right.

hope this helps

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sounds like you need some threadlock type stuff to stop the BB shells working loose - or a bit of that tape that is used to seal gas pipes will work equally well.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
accountantpete said:
Sounds like you need some threadlock type stuff to stop the BB shells working loose - or a bit of that tape that is used to seal gas pipes will work equally well.

+1 on the tape.

I had the same problem (thread here) and I seem to have fixed it with replacing the grease with ptfe tape (60p in B&Q) and getting a longer lever for my BB tool.

One tip if you try the tape, wrap it round in the opposite direction to the BB thread, otherwise it strips straight off when you go to screw it in :tongue:

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
mcshroom said:
+1 on the tape.

I had the same problem (thread here) and I seem to have fixed it with replacing the grease with ptfe tape (60p in B&Q) and getting a longer lever for my BB tool.

One tip if you try the tape, wrap it round in the opposite direction to the BB thread, otherwise it strips straight off when you go to screw it in :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips about the tape I have some time this afternoon so will try some ptfe tape on it, I am sure that is what the problem is.

Thanks again

DJ

Armegatron

I recently took my BB out, and when I went to the LBS for another unrelated issue they pointed out to me that I had tighted the wrong side first and it would work loose if I rode it. Sure enough when I got home I was able to undo the BB by hand. Perhaps this is worth a check too?

Top Bottom