Bottom bracket problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was all set to fit a cartridge bottom bracket to my old Raleigh Pioneer in place of the old cup and cone style one (which keeps developing play, and looks rather worn out), but have only just realised that the new one doesn't fit into the shell - not because it's the wrong size, but because the bit holding the cable guide to the BB shell sticks out too far!

However, rather than a metal bolt to secure the cable guide, this has a double-pronged plastic bit that seems to be part of the cable guide itself, so I can't just fit a shorter bolt.

So, would it be a very bad idea to cut this plastic thing down a bit, or does anyone know an alternative way of attaching it?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if I've understood this right, but if what you're saying is that the cable guide that takes the gear cables round the BB is attached by a bolt which intrudes into the interior of the BB shell to such an extent that it prevents the new cartridge BB unit from sliding in, then if I were you I'd just remove the bolt and re-attach the guide using araldite. 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try cutting the plastic pins off on the inside with a craft knife - I'm guessing they are only for guiding the cable run onto the frame, or remove and re-attach with glue as above.

Top Bottom