Bottom Bracket Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A kid in the close has just come to me to get his bike fixed... whilst I know what is making the noise I'm not exactly sure how to fix it.... It was making a big clanking noise which I worked out was the bottom bracket and when I looked at it the "nut/washer" was loose on one side... and I can move the whole thing from side to side by about 1/2 cm. (This is a new bike he bought out of the woolies catelogue a week ago).

I've got a lidl tool kit... and a book ... but I don't want to wreck someone elses bike (especially as they seem to think I'm an expert:biggrin:). Anybody got any clues from my hopeless description.

The left crank has worked loose, it's a common problem with mail order self assembly bikes. Simple fix, tighten the bolt up. Tight as you can get it.

Be aware though that in coming loose the square hole in the crank may now be utterly toasted, it depends how far it's been ridden.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
He has taken it home and says he will get his dad to fix it... it did look like a washer on the left hand side of the bike which was completely loose... he only got the bike about 2 weeks ago... came to my house and asked where to get a bike from and how much did my daughters bike cost... on being told said... nah its cheaper in woolies!!!

Nice kid though ... I had oiled his last bike but it had been left out in the rain for so long that it gear mech rusted solid. But he has taken my words of wisdom to put this one away... and its being stored in his shed.

Thanks for the offer Mickle ... but we will see if he comes back (if its just tightening up that washer thing then he might be able to do it) ... though I'm going off to the Forest of Dean tomorrow.... tempted to get you to come round - but only on condition that you cycled that new bike of yours!!!! Have you fallen off it yet?

Not fallen off but in the few miles I've done I have rediscovered how attention seeking a recumbent is. I haven't any capacity for luggage on it so if I come over on it I'll be tool free.....

Top Bottom