Bottom Bracket Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shyladcallum

Hi there,

I'm new to bike maintenance, I have an old bike which I'm working on. Just taking it apart and putting it together to get to know how to do it.

I cannot figure out how to remove the bottom bracket. Any idea what type of bottom bracket it is or how I would remove it?

Any tool suggestions would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_134608445.jpg
    IMG_20200111_134608445.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200111_134621630.jpg
    IMG_20200111_134621630.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 29

12boy

Guru
You will need some large wrenches or even giant vise grips. If the tightening nut on the drive side or the drive side nut won't loosen, being placed in a vise so you can use the bike as leverage can work. Once removed a cartridge type bottom bracket is a much better choice and the LBS will,probably tighten it with their specialized tools for little. However there are 2 parts to a bike that have reversed threads, the opposite of lefty loosey, rightly tightly. They are the non drive side pedal and the right side of the bottom bracket. Turn that as you would to tighten to get it loose.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't quite see on the photo. Does it have a lock ring on the non drive side? Loosen that with C spanner (or grips if you must but it's easy to gouge the frame), remove it and then a 24mm spanner or deep socket will usually fit the cup nut. Look carefully at threads for which way to turn or look it up on sheldonbrown.com - it's fiddly but not difficult and fewer special tools than more recent designs.

Crankarm

Guru
Make sure you use anti seize paste when refitting the BB or it's new replacement. Clean up the threads inside the frame as well if need be especially if there is rust.

Top Bottom