bottom bracket repaced after 6 weeks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
is this usual.

bought the bike 6 weeks ago, and this week i have started to get creaking from the bike whenever i stood up on the pedal and pushed hard.

took it to the LBS where i got it from and have been told the BB has gone and needs to be replaced under warranty

How long should a BB last???

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
depends in milage. but unless you've recently ridden a grand tour, six weeks is far too soon.

chapeau to the lbs for not charging for the fix. the new one should last a lot longer, you maybe got unlucky with a duff unit or bad fitting.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Not sure about FSA, but 6 weeks sounds about right for a Race Face, I've had two go in a very short time, and I know many others who have had the same problem, just replace it with a Hope one.

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
the bike has done about 300 miles and i believe they are replacing it with a shimano one, not sure which model

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the BB shell wasn't faced when the bearings were fitted the bearings will not last long. This involves using a special skimming tool to ensure that both outside faces are parallel.

Mr Pig

Do you leave the bike sitting outside? I've seen one rust up with very few miles on it thanks to that but to be honest I don't even think that could happen in six weeks. Sounds like a crap BB to me.

raindog

er.....
I started a thread on here last week about this. For a bottom bracket to only last 500ks just seems beyond belief, even if it wasn't very good quality.

I've not long replaced mine after 7000ks and I moaned about it. :o)

jay clock

Massive member
I had mine go (cheap Shimano or compatible) on my Trek 1.2 after a week or two. The LBS changed it without a quibble. The worst I ever had was an ISIS one which creaked from day 1 and I changed pretty soon

02GF74

Über Member
unbelieveable, a BB should give 5,000 miles service.

most are sealed so it *should* make no difference if the bike is kept outside or ridden through mud, well, that is the theory......

Top Bottom