Bottom bracket replacement

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by MattHB, 11 Jul 2012.

1. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

I currently have a (worn) megaexo omega bottom bracket on my Felt Z6. Do I have to replace it with the same model, or can I go for something better quality and/or a different make?

cheers

2. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Anyone?

3. depending on the chainset, some Shimano HT2 BBs will fit. I use a Sora BB on my cross bike, with a Gossamer crankset...

4. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

It's running the factory fitted megaexo omega chainset as well. I could fit the same again, just curious is all if the stuff can be cross manufacturer

5. oldgreyandslow

oldgreyandslow Über Member

If I remember rightly the FSA megaexo omega bb is this one
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/23745/FSA_Omega_Drive_MegaExo_Bottom_Bracket_BB4000
    Which has a different hole size and is only compatible with the omega chainset, at least it was when I had mine.
    I swapped to a sram apex chainset which used a gxp bb, larger hole size, which fits most other chainsets too and then later I went for a ceramic bb from superstar components
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=448
    Probably a bit OTT but the chainset was on special at merlin cycles at the time and included the gxp bb and my omega chainrings needed replacing and as omega limited me to the bb mentioned above I thought it was worth it, you can regrease the gxp too. I changed to the ceramic bb when the gxp "wore out"

6. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Many thanks oldgrey :smile: I might see if I can get rid of the annoying squeaking and string it out until the chain set wears out. It's done 2000 miles already and I was a bit late putting on a new chain, so that might not take too long.

7. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

8. no, it says BB30 press fit - unless you have a BB30 bottom bracket shell, it will not fit.

9. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Sok I just found the right one. I was being stooped. Updated the link above

10. I thought you wanted to replace the BB - not the chainset..?

11. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Rings are worn as well and I have a bit of cash coming my way so thought I might as well while I can :smile:

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Upgrades....

MattHB likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

It's quite funny.. This thread is now a history of me convincing myself to upgrade the bike. :biggrin:

14. seems like a good deal..

15. OP
    OP
    MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Hmmm read so many bad reviews I think I'll steer clear of the k-force set which is a shame...

Bad bonding on pedal threads being the main problem for heavier riders.. Being heavy I don't think I'll risk it. I can get an ultegra compact plus BB for £5 cheaper, so I think I'll run with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice