Bottom bracket sheared off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Look what happened to my bottom bracket. It just sheared off. It was made of hardened steel. Still, it was about ten years old. The local branch of Evans did a pretty speedy job of replacing it, I am pleased to say.
Broken.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Amazing, never seen that before.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
did the car hit your bottom bracket!?
pic of bike? looks like a nice one
Cheers Ed

No, it wasn't hit by a car. I wondered what was going on. The photo was of my Brompton, which is at least ten years old. It is semi-retired now. I only really use it when I am going to take it on the train somewhere.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did that to a bike when I was about 10 yrs old!!!!! It was a Raleigh Budgie and I was practising my 2ft high bunny hops :smile:

upload_2013-12-25_0-7-19.png

gbb

Legendary Member
Repaired one like that once...really.
Polish fella at work brought me his non drive crank...with the sheared off axle still attached. Despite my reservations, warnings and reluctance, he begged me to repair it till he could afford to replace it.
Ground chamfers into each mating surface, welded and sanded back to a tight fit...and gave it back with the sternest warning about its probable life expectancy (and his if he did anything other than pootle on it till he got it fixed).
Knowing the majority of immigrant workers I've worked with, its probably still on the bike. :whistle:

Top Bottom