Bottom Bracket - signs of failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it's a Campag groupset the movement might be due to the crank not being properly tightened and you might end up 10 miles from home with it coming completly unscrewed and you being left with a pedal and crank attached to your cleat. You might also have to pedal the next three miles one legged whilst waiting for your @Nomadski to go to the bike shop and back for a 10mm allen key. DAMHIKT.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Photography competition?
Writing is the other way up.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4547004, member: 9609"]has anyone dismantled a cartridge ?[/QUOTE]

To what end? If it's loose, tighten the cups - if the bearings are rumbling, just replace it.

S-Express

Thing is, if the bearings are rumbling, then packing them with grease is not going to help. Cartridge BBs are typically not rebuildable anyway.

Ajax Bay

Guru
[QUOTE 4547112, member: 9609"]rear wheel rim is showing signs of failure[/QUOTE]
Tell me those new wheels are on the way or have arrived, please. That rim is going to go at a time massively inconvenient to your 'get-you-home service. No use of the rear brake till it's sorted!

fixedfixer

Veteran
As themosquitoking said ref campag. This play can happen with any BB / crank interface. The slight movement can be a slack or worn crank arm - do make sure they are tight before you dismantle the BB. That said it is likely to be the BB but it's worth checking those cranks first.

S-Express

If the cranks move on the bottom bracket spindle they are buggered.

or simply not tight enough.

I did a 600 mile tour on a dodgy BB, the old style type. When it got a bit loose I stopped at the side of the road, got my stubby screwdriver out, found a rock, hammered the lock ring loose, hammered the shell a bit tighter but not too much and then hammered the lock ring back tight, lobbed the rock away, packed the the screwy and rode for a few more days; rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom