Bottom Bracket Size???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

MajorMantra

Measure the width of your bottom bracket shell (it will be 68 or 73mm) and then either measure the axle, or check the Shimano tech documents (on their website) for your chainset to make sure you get the right axle length.

Matthew

redjedi

Über Member
take out the bottom bracket. It should have the measurements on a sticker if it's still on there and readable.

If you can't read it take it to a LBS and ask for the same one, but then you may not get it for a fiver.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

redjedi said:
take out the bottom bracket. It should have the measurements on a sticker if it's still on there and readable.

If you can't read it take it to a LBS and ask for the same one, but then you may not get it for a fiver.

:smile:I had thought of that. I don't have the tools to get it out though. I was hoping to deduce the size, buy it on the net and then take it to the LBS to install it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Can you get the cranks off? If so, poke something through the axle (it's hollow) and use that to measure the axle length.
I will point out that the tools to get a sealed BB out will probably be cheaper than getting the LBS to do it for you - this will get the BB out and this will get the cranks off.

MajorMantra

TheDoctor said:
Can you get the cranks off? If so, poke something through the axle (it's hollow) and use that to measure the axle length.
I will point out that the tools to get a sealed BB out will probably be cheaper than getting the LBS to do it for you - this will get the BB out and this will get the cranks off.

This is good advice. Just make sure you remove any washers before inserting the crank puller. Also, note that you need to own a socket spanner to use that puller.

As I said above, you may be able to deduce the correct axle length from the Shimano tech info.

Matthew

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

TheDoctor said:

Great stuff. Many thanks...

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

MajorMantra said:
This is good advice. Just make sure you remove any washers before inserting the crank puller. Also, note that you need to own a socket spanner to use that puller.

As I said above, you may be able to deduce the correct axle length from the Shimano tech info.

Matthew

Thanks to you as well Matthew. I tried the shimano site but it was beyond my ken. Knowing that I had a 73mm octalink BB didn't seem to help me. I suspect you're not as stupid as me:sad:.

MajorMantra

Funtboy said:
Thanks to you as well Matthew. I tried the shimano site but it was beyond my ken. Knowing that I had a 73mm octalink BB didn't seem to help me. I suspect you're not as stupid as me:sad:.

Actually I've just had a look at the site and the relevant bit is so badly organised that I couldn't find anything useful either. If you knew the exact model of your chainset you might be able to figure it out, but to be honest just measuring the thing is probably easier! :biggrin:

Matthew

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

MajorMantra said:
Actually I've just had a look at the site and the relevant bit is so badly organised that I couldn't find anything useful either. If you knew the exact model of your chainset you might be able to figure it out, but to be honest just measuring the thing is probably easier! :biggrin:

Matthew

I have to get it out to measure it though and it's a toss up between buying the tools and giving it to the LBS.

Hmmmmmm.

MajorMantra

Funtboy said:
I have to get it out to measure it though and it's a toss up between buying the tools and giving it to the LBS.

Hmmmmmm.

You don't have to actually remove the BB to measure it if you use the method above (stick something though the hollow axle) but you do have to remove the cranks. Taking cranks off is easy though and if you're in doubt there are a slew of tutorials (biketutor etc.) online.

Matthew

Top Bottom