Bottom bracket to crank - torque critical?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

As my usernem suggests I have a Kraken, and having a Kraken it was built by halfords.

So, did a decent ride out t`other day and today I went around it checking nothing was loose, all OK except the crank into the bottom bracket was loose (The crank with the chainwheel on it) and could be wobbled a few millimetres. It is held by an 8mm allen key. I nipped it up and it seems ok, but should this be torqed to a setting or is nipping OK?

Sorry, Im not 100% sure I have the names for the components right, but I hope you get what I mean.

Paul.

Your terminology is spot-on Paul. Welcome to CC. I'd say you did the right thing, personally i rely on my gut rather than a torque wrench, i'd nip it up to a tightness that i dont expect it to come undone, then give it a check every now and then.

Tollers

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Are you really sure of that? I tightend it up wearing my wellies and it seems to have done the trick.

In fact, I will tell the technician that built my bike to make sure he wears his while bike building, to ensure he complie with the standard operating proceedure.

I shall be seeing him tomorrow as I will be retuning a topeak saddle bag that disintergrated during fitting.

Im going to tell him I was wearing my wellies while installing the saddle bag, just to be on the safe side. In fact, I might just wear them every time I go to halfords. :ohmy:

Top Bottom