bottom bracket tool for Giant SCR3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimC

I'm trying to stop the damn clicking from the bottom bracket on my relatively new Giant SCR3 - apparently PTFE tape is the way but I can't seem find out what type of shimano bottom bracket tool (U72/74 etc) I need.

Does anyone have an SCR3 and/or that knowledge handy?

Cheers
T

(Currently putting in 50 miles a day commuting, leeds to barnsley in training for LEGOG - tiring!)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
PTFE tape is wrong for BB threads. very wrong, just use some grease.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The bog-standard one that came in my Edinburgh Bike CoOps Revolution Tune-Up Kit worked fine on my SCR2 and on my Carrera Vulcan MTB before that.

Not sure what kind it is, but it's obviously the most common one ! Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Mortiroloboy

TimC said:
I'm trying to stop the damn clicking from the bottom bracket on my relatively new Giant SCR3 - apparently PTFE tape is the way but I can't seem find out what type of shimano bottom bracket tool (U72/74 etc) I need.

Does anyone have an SCR3 and/or that knowledge handy?

Cheers
T

(Currently putting in 50 miles a day commuting, leeds to barnsley in training
for LEGOG - tiring!)

Are you a plumber?B) it's a BB shell NOT a compression joint, just use (sparingly) some grease. The BB is probably truvativ power spline, a standard BB tol will unscrew it.

girofan

I have an SCR2 which had BB trouble TimC. It was replaced under warranty by the LBS. Subsequently it came loose and made a clicking sound on each revolution of the cranks! Could this be your problem Tim?
I removed cranks and BB myself and wiped off the copius amounts of grease, put a thin oil on the threads plus a LITTLE Loctite on the cup faces, and have had no problem in four months.
I used a Park Tools BBT-2 for the BB. A substantial tool that has the benefit of being compatible with a socket set wrench.

Top Bottom