Bottom Bracket Tool Identification - Bianchi single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leslie

Regular
Hi all,

I have a bianchi road bike that has been converted into a single speed. I am wanting to replace the cranks and bottom bracket...does anyone know what BB tool I need? See attached photos. Have been on park tool website for guidance and I have a feeling that it could be BBT-32. Any suggestions? THANKS

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 201006-BB.png
    201006-BB.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200926_173319.jpg
    IMG_20200926_173319.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone have any suggestions on the above?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Looks like the standard Shimano spline for cartridge BBs. Cheaper ones than Park are available. I don't much like the Park tool as it tempts you to use a socket driver and it will cam out (the applied torque being in a plane far from the business end). A less deep tool that can be held in with one hand and turned with a large adjustable spanner works better for me.

OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Great! thanks for the advice! would a large spanner be sufficient to get enough leverage to loosen?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Normally, yes. But make sure the tool is held in, either by hand or with an M8 bolt and suitable washers.

Measure the shell width to see if it's 70mm and look for either ITA or 36x24 engraved on the cups. If so, both cups unscrew anti-clockwise. If the shell is 68mm wide and either ISO, BSC, BSA* or 1.37x24 are marked on the cups, the drive side cup unscrews clockwise (left-hand thread).

I would assume a Bianchi to be the former case (Italian BB), unless it's a badge-engineered bike. Italian threading is technically worse because pedalling can cause the RH cup to walk (precess) out of its threads, but it has survived because the effect is minor compared with pedal threads. The RH must be fitted very tightly, though.

*a common mistake - BSA was a bike manufacturer but "normal" ISO BB threads were specified in British Standard Cycle, BSC. Compare BSW, BSF and BSP.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Normally, yes. But make sure the tool is held in, either by hand or with an M8 bolt and suitable washers.

Good advice. I usually go for the bolt/washer combo. And sometimes even a length of pipe to give a bit more leverage if it proves well and truly stuck. The non drive side is rarely a problem.

OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Thanks a lit rogerzilla and Big John! That pipe idea is good!

I have just started looking into all the BB types on SHeldon BRown's website and its a total minefield!!!!! 🤣

Top Bottom