Bottom bracket tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
Quick question, my bottom bracket needs replacing on my GT Aggressor XC3, I know I need to get the correct tools for the job but when it comes to bottom brackets does any one know which tools I need to do the job ?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I expect you need one like this, but have a look at your bottom bracket to confirm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10177

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's an 'external bearing' - like ultratorq or hollowtec II, then it's a bearing 'cup' remover and an allen key (for the crank). The bearing is on the outside of the frame, and there is next to no gap between the bearing and crank.

ISIS or square taper it's a crank extractor (Park does one that removes either) and the relevant BB tool to fit the BB. ISIS has a splined axel, square taper is........you guessed.... square.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Does any one know which bottom bracket I need for the aggressor, I dont seem to be able to find out the information.

Take a picture - probaly with the camera inside the triangle, looking straight down at the BB, post it on here, we'll soon spot what it is.

Problem with "GT Agressorr XYZ" or whatever is that specifications can change from one model year to another - or even month by month, according to where the manufacturer can get the best deal.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thinking about it.... you may need a crank bolt spanner too ( a thin wall socket spanner ) as it may not be equipped with the modern 8 mm allen key crank bolts.

Is there a plastic cover in the centre of the cranks? whip that off and take a pic there too.

Top Bottom