Bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

STEPHAN DAVIS

I need a little advice. I've inherited an old Raleigh road bike at work but needs a little work. The main thing thats puzzling me is the bottom bracket. I couldn't get the derailleur to push all the out to the outer ring (has a double ring). I have adjusted it but still won't reach. Is this a derailleur problem or the bottom bracket?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Have you got enough tension on the cable ?

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

I've tried adjusting everything but it just won't reach. If I measure from the centre of the seat tube to the outer ring its 50mm. Does this sound like a lot?

Canrider

Guru
No, and if it's all original equipment, it will have been able to shift to the outer ring at some time (obviously)!

This could be a few things. Both of Arjimlad's suggestions are good first steps. I'd also look at making sure the derailleur isn't stuck with rust or dirt, keeping it from moving freely. The derailleur cage could also be bent if the bike was knocked on that side.

tadpole

Take a picture to show what you mean, it's hard to understand how there is not enough travel on the derailleur adjuster to make it reach. Have you changed the crank/bottom bracket or the chainset?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My brother had a similar problem with his front derailleur. The problem turned out to be it was at the wrong height up the seat tube.
Check how much space there is between the cage and the chain rings. You should have about 2mm
derailer-chainring.jpg

spacing.
I got this image from Bicycle Tutor here.
Try adjusting the derailleur up or down the tube and try it again.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

photo.JPG

I apologise now for the quality of the photo. Since having the problem I've taken off the derailleur and smaller ring. It was the gap between the crank and the bottom bracket which was puzzling me? I also apologise if my terminology is wrong!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
I wonder if someones tried turning a single into a double the past..
My wifes commuter, Raleigh 5 speed, i had an old Raleigh 10 speed in the shed, stripped off the BB, cranks and FD and turned hers into a double.
Perhaps someones tried, but didnt think about the different BB needed.

Edited to say...scrub that, if it was a single BB, that would bring the cranks toward the BB, allowing the outer ring to be used, but maybe not the inner.

sidevalve

Über Member
Looking at the cable guides under the bottom bracket it was built as a double chainring [ie meant to have a front changer]. Now it seems you have the changer off give it a clean and slacken off all the adjusting screws [limit screws]. Replace on the bike and try moving it by hand [do not connect cable]. You will find either 1 - it moves far enough therefore it's a cable adjustment problem [or possibly a shifter problem] or it doesn't [which is strange, unless at sometime in the past someone has fitted an insanely long pedal spindle]. It seems to be the older type of bearing so there is a possibility that someone tried to upgrade with a non fitting crankset.
These are quite unlikely however and even if so bits for bikes of this age are VERY cheap on E Bay.

Top Bottom