bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

GKerr4, did you have your bb shell refaced as I have been advised this should be done to fit the hollowtech II, as they sit against the frame and although it is not essential, it would possibly shorten the life of the bearing if not done!

gkerr4

Oh I see - wow - I thought you had the £100+ ceramic job!

Can you tell me - are there actually any moving parts in the FSA BB? - or is it a plain bearing type of thing? and when you say you might need to replace the BB, is the one-piece crank/axle showing any signs of wear or will it be fine with new BB cups?

gkerr4

yellow v2 said:
GKerr4, did you have your bb shell refaced as I have been advised this should be done to fit the hollowtech II, as they sit against the frame and although it is not essential, it would possibly shorten the life of the bearing if not done!

No - I didn't. I didn't want to buy the tool myself and didn;t want / couldn't be arsed to take the bike to an LBS for that - so just fitted the bearings myself. If I have a problem with the bearing life - well they are only £14 each and if it is really short then i'll look into the self aligning FSA models.

gkerr said:
Oh I see - wow - I thought you had the £100+ ceramic job!

Can you tell me - are there actually any moving parts in the FSA BB? - or is it a plain bearing type of thing? and when you say you might need to replace the BB, is the one-piece crank/axle showing any signs of wear or will it be fine with new BB cups?

Yeah its sealed bearings you can remove the caps and apply grease but with this type of bb I don't think its recommended as part of a service.

The axle has wear you can feel it when you run your finger on the area were it made contact with the sealed bearings it is a very slight on the left side and even less on the right side.

I think the wear is within the limits and is ok for 3000miles ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All my bikes use standard bb's - i.e square taper, but since the introduction of sealed cartridge, all three had them. No trouble in years, although I'd always recommend a mid to high range model, and no plastic lock ring thingy's. DA/XTR on the best bike (DA group) ultegra on the ultegra bike and Deore on the mtb. Don't get a cheap bb what ever you do - fit and forget if you get a good 'un.

Top Bottom