Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

afanjack

HI,

I currently have shimano crank and hollowtech BB on my bike, but I am about to buy a Sram Crankset which is BB30 compatible. I cant seem to find any information anywhere whether this BB is compatible with my frame or not.

The bike is a Merida Ride 94 Carbon.

Thanks

Levo-Lon

Guru
This any use ? You can get adapters but im not going to guess if you can.
someone will know for sure, @Yellow Saddle teritory me thinks

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1599-bottom-bracket-types

Last edited:
OP
OP
afanjack

afanjack

I am selling it as with the group set ready for my upgrade. Its sorted now thanks. Went for a shimano crank in the end with the hollowtech BB.

zacklaws

Guru
Wise decision, my experience of press fit BB's is enough to make me swear as I wear them out in a couple of months and its getting costly till I dare take the plunge and fit them myself. I would sooner have an old cup and cone BB than a press fit

zacklaws

Guru
I do close around 750+ normally , but with being recently retired, plenty of time to ride and PBP coming up and all the qualifying rides etc, I have been doing around 1000 a month. I had a BB fitted in February, it had only done 3500 miles which I have been told was excellent in the LBS, so they fitted a new one, despite stripping the chain set down drying it out and regreasing it if I had been out in the wet, it only lasted 1900 miles before it seized, and they said that was good when they replaced it, so I try not to ride that bike now as it is getting costly and use one of my cheaper bikes for run of the mill rides.

bpsmith

Veteran
Good mileage @zacklaws, fair play. Just trying to gauge when mine may be due. I will be lucky to do 2,500 miles this year, but 1,400 miles in on both bikes, so probably due later this year maybe.

U

User6179

Wise decision, my experience of press fit BB's is enough to make me swear as I wear them out in a couple of months and its getting costly till I dare take the plunge and fit them myself. I would sooner have an old cup and cone BB than a press fit

Are you sure you have actual press fit and not standard BB30 which still could be referred to as press fit , I Cant seem to wear out my shimano press fit , 10000 plus miles out of current one , previous one on old frame was fine at 8000 miles , the external HT2 BBs I can knacker them in a month though.

outlash

also available in orange
I've only just changed the bearings on my BB30'd Cannondale after nearly 6,000 miles. Even then it was only because they sounded grotty rather than the usual play or notchiness. Funny eh?

zacklaws

Guru
Mine are BB90 press fits which do not have a good reputation as I have found out. But when I search online, press fits do not have a good reputation in general and deemed not fit for purpose.

U

User6179

Mine are BB90 press fits which do not have a good reputation as I have found out. But when I search online, press fits do not have a good reputation in general and deemed not fit for purpose.

I think your bb90 is same construction as BB30 so would have the same problems , I don't think they are what is marketed as press-fit even though you press them into the frame , proper press-fit seem to have more durability .

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have the GXP press fit bb 92 on my commencal and its been faultles since new in 2012...
i have cleaned and re greased the bearings at regular intervals to maintain smooth operation.
new ceramic job is over a 100 quid !! But the ss version is around 35quid.

i do think the fitting of these is crucial to life expectancy..so im thinking the one i fit in time wont last for yrs..as i wont have a bb tool as such..just my ingenuity and dodgy eyes..

Top Bottom