Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon Head

Will a new BB, for example to fit a Shimano 105 chainset, fit my 20 year old steel frame?
I think it will but I hate getting caught out!

Last edited:
The short answer is yes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Here is one fitted to a more than 30yr old frame,

002.JPG

Ajax Bay

Guru
Will a new BB, for example to fit a Shimano 105 chainset, fit my 20 year old steel frame?
To answer this we need to know what model of chainset you are actually aiming to fit (as opposed to 'for example'). It may be that the chainset is 20 years old too and thus needs a UN55 square taper or similar. This assumes the frame is 'English' threaded - it will probably be 68mm wide. If the OP's chainset is Hollowtech II, see rr's and smokey's advice. OP: "Are they all the same?" See Sheldon Brown on bottom brackets (scroll about 1/3rd down).
HTH

Last edited:
Are they all the same apart from the name?
Yes they are, (the only real differences in layman terms are aesthetics and weight). In a nutshell the hierarchy starts from Sora and goes upto Dura-Ace.

105 is a good compromise of weight v function IME.

FWIW my best bike has full DA, but I've also had 105 and Ultegra, and TBH you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in real world cycling.

A major consideration for most is cost, (initial purchase and replacement cost), and 105 is also arguably the best compromise in this regard too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes they are, (the only real differences in layman terms are aesthetics and weight). In a nutshell the hierarchy starts from Sora and goes upto Dura-Ace.

105 is a good compromise of weight v function IME.

FWIW my best bike has full DA, but I've also had 105 and Ultegra, and TBH you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in real world cycling.

A major consideration for most is cost, (initial purchase and replacement cost), and 105 is also arguably the best compromise in this regard too.
105 is where Shimano 'qualiity' starts. :becool:

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

Can I use my Shimano 600 chainset, or would that make me look too old school especially on my steel Dave Marsh frame?

Last edited:

S-Express

Can I use my Shimano 600 chainset?

If you have a 68mm threaded BB shell, you can use any compatible chainset with any BB, providing it is compatible with both the chainset and the BB shell. It's not completely clear from this thread exactly what it is you are trying to do.

OP
OP
Simon Head

Simon Head

I am trying to build my old steel Dave Marsh 753 racing frame up to be a good training bike. The frame is pretty small but I think it will fit with long carbon seatpost and handlebar stem. Due to the frames size and what it's made from, mega thin 753, it should be nearly as light as a properly sized alloy frame.
I have also got loads of components to go on it but I want modern indexing handlebar gearshifts and an aerobar lever on my left handlebar bacause I now can't use my right hand so well. Please look at my website: https://shedsweb.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom