Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No riding for me today unfortunately, I decided I really should get my bottom bracket seen to. The shop confirmed as I thought it was on the way out so at £14 for the BB and £8 to fit, I'll get the shop to do it on this occasion. I just wondered how much of a task is it, is it something I should do myself in the future? To be honest I wasn't surprised the bike is 4 year old, done around 7500mls and see action all year round. When I done the ear to the saddle test, it sounded very rough.

gbb

Legendary Member
Easiest thing in the world to do...if you have the tools.
Crank extractor and a BB tool are whats needed.
I replaced my 20 year old Raleigh axle and bearing BB in 30 minutes....no problems despite the time it's been in there. New cartridge BB went straight in. Easy, if nothings siezed :wacko:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
As GBB said, its very easy. BUT you need tools, some grease, hope its not seized, awareness that one of the sides unscrews the wrong way, that it may be so tight blood vessels will pop in your forehead when you undo it, there are many variations of size, different tapers, external bb's, isis or ocatalink, different BB widths, and even colours!

I like changing BB's, takes less than ten minutes, and one of my favourite bike jobs

PpPete

Legendary Member
I remember it scared me seven shades of sh&tless first time I had to change a BB - but that was a loose bearing job. Bearing races make it tons easier, cartridge BB makes it a doddle. A 4 year old bike will definitely be cartridge job IMHO. Just make sure you have the correct tools and dont forget drive side may be a left-hand thread.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks I've removed the cranks before a couple of times so I've got the tools for that and I probably have the other tools too so I'll probably give it ago the next time, given that one lasted for four years it'll probably be a while. Just looking at sizes on the web ie, 68-107mm, I'm guessing 68mm is the diameter of the housing (or whatever its called) and 107 is the width?

jayce

HLaB said:
Thanks I've removed the cranks before a couple of times so I've got the tools for that and I probably have the other tools too so I'll probably give it ago the next time, given that one lasted for four years it'll probably be a while. Just looking at sizes on the web ie, 68-107mm, I'm guessing 68mm is the diameter of the housing (or whatever its called) and 107 is the width?
i got a brand new 68x113 shimano if it fitted you could have had it fella no good to me i use the giga pipe;)

llllllll

HLaB said:
Just looking at sizes on the web ie, 68-107mm, I'm guessing 68mm is the diameter of the housing (or whatever its called) and 107 is the width?

Afraid not, the diameter is pretty much standard, the 68mm is the width of the BB shell on your frame. The 107mm with the length of the BB axle.

Top Bottom