Bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I've never yet failed to get one off with a big screwdriver and a big hammer (but I do have a big screwdriver with a steel core through the handle).

midlife

Guru
right side fixed cup has a left hand thread so anti-clockwise to undo. There's always the big bolt technique a la Biggs682 lol

I don't have a vice, so I'm going to try a large adjustable wrench. Does it turn clockwise or anticlockwise? Thanks

Figure out a way of clamping the spanner to the BB cup. For instance, a large fender washer and nut that clamps through the BB and holds the spanner against the nut. Otherwise, it will slip and smear the flats into a ramp onto which no spanner will ever again fit or work. Remove it as soon as the shell moves.

I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm not sure if the threads are BSA or Italian. If the former, simply turn it the opposite way to which the other side came off. If the latter, it is lefty loosy.

Ajax Bay

Guru
right side fixed cup has a left hand thread so anti-clockwise to undo.
[correct then wrong]
Is 10:19 GMT early? Are you based west of UK?
About the time you posted, I was replacing my UN-55 with a new one. I screwed the right side in anti-clockwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Celtic Warrior
My brother was round today and he remembered that he had one year's ago and it might still on our parents garage. So 20 plus years in the bottom of a dusty box, out it came for a final hurrah. The first full 3 turns required a hammer until I was able to use my arm. I was a bit worried as I could see some flakes of metal. When it got to the point that I could turn it with my hand, it felt nice and smooth. The threads look fine, just need to size up a new bottom bracket. Great advice from you all, thanks.

Attachments

• 20190105_211421.jpg
    20190105_211421.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190105_211339.jpg
    20190105_211339.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190105_211255.jpg
    20190105_211255.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom