Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Is there a way of figuring out what bottom bracket is fitted to a bike without fully stripping down? It's a job I've never attempted before, it's starting to creak a bit so thought it would be a good job for winter. I've looked on various websites including the manufacturer (Cube), but none say what the BB is so that I can get replacement. Also, would I need any special tools? Appreciate any assistance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are there no markings on the exposed bit?
if your bike is on there, the bikelist is good for specs

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Re special tools, that rather depends on what BB is in there as different types need something different.
If it's extenal bearings screw fit type , then it's rather easy and the tool to grip it is usually cheap.

If it's some sort of press fit then squeaking is quite common and it's whole different kettle of fish, and probably best not tackled at home if your not confident, as need a bearing press tool or a home made equivalent.

Photos shd help to identify the type of BB.

rivers

How far can I go?
Re special tools, that rather depends on what BB is in there as different types need something different.
If it's extenal bearings screw fit type , then it's rather easy and the tool to grip it is usually cheap.

If it's some sort of press fit then squeaking is quite common and it's whole different kettle of fish, and probably best not tackled at home if your not confident, as need a bearing press tool or a home made equivalent.

Photos shd help to identify the type of BB.

All 3 of my bikes have press fit BBs, and none of them creak/squeak and they all see a fair bit of mileage. My summer bike, bought in 2016, still has the original BB. It gets serviced regularly and doesn't see that much inverse weather. My winter bike gets a new BB every 18 months. My TT bike, similar to my summer bike.

With a proper press fit BB tool, it's actually a pretty easy job to tackle.

Jameshow

Veteran
Look at it!!

Is it square taper, ht2 or the wonderful world of pressfits?

Sq come in different lengths

Ht2 are the same iirc.

Press fits depend on the spec?

Mike_P

Guru
Grease is the answer according to a GCN video. Decided the fitting tool I got off Amazon really is for headsets so instead of probably bodging it bought a proper tool from Bearing Pro Tools - £25 with the correct drifts and nice handles to hold at either end. Did ponder buying the drifts on their own but knowing my luck the centre hole would be wrong for the Amazon tool.

Top Bottom