Bottom brackets..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
These ones, choose English thread option.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-power-torque-cup-set-1/

BB30 and BB86 are press fit.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
These ones, choose English thread option.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-power-torque-cup-set-1/

BB30 and BB86 are press fit.

Really? The cheapest ones? Sweet. :smile:

And just to complete this, the actual bar that links the two cranks through the bottom bracket comes with the crank arms?

Edit

This supercool video tells me the right crank is one with the axle, and no special tool is required to install it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=DvTM9tdS5tg

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
From the page you've looked at: "For use with Athena, Centaur, and Veloce Power Torque chainsets. This time, the axle is in a single piece firmly fixed to the right pedal crank of the chainset."

lpretro1

Can be a bit of a 'mare getting power torque bearings off without damaging crank even with right tool :sad:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
...so.

I bought a Bbt-5 tool which looks useless for installing power torque cups.

image.jpeg

And there are a few extra pieces to the left cup not talked about in the Campag instructions.
http://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil... power torque crankset - Campagnolo_06_12.pdf

What is the coil/springy type thing? And where does the black but go?
image.jpeg

winjim

Smash the cistern
...so.

I bought a Bbt-5 tool which looks useless for installing power torque cups.

View attachment 126729

And there are a few extra pieces to the left cup not talked about in the Campag instructions.
http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_31_Technical manual - power torque crankset - Campagnolo_06_12.pdf

What is the coil/springy type thing? And where does the black but go?
View attachment 126730
That tool is for installing Campagnolo square taper BBs. Keep hold of it though, it's the same tool for Campagnolo cassette lockrings. Hand tight is probably good enough for Powertorque cups I think, as they slather them with threadlock but otherwise an external BB cup tool is what you need. Shimano HT2 and Campagnolo both use the same pattern but be gentle, those Campagnolo cups mark very easily.

Wavy washer coil thing is a bearing preload spring to compensate for differences in BB shell width. Black thing is a seal that goes over it. They are referred to as "spring and gasket" on p6 of your pdf. So it goes:
  1. Cups
  2. DS crank
  3. Spring clip on DS cup
  4. Spring and gasket onto NDS
  5. NDS crank
  6. Crank bolt

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
That tool is for installing Campagnolo square taper BBs. Keep hold of it though, it's the same tool for Campagnolo cassette lockrings. Hand tight is probably good enough for Powertorque cups I think, as they slather them with threadlock but otherwise an external BB cup tool is what you need. Shimano HT2 and Campagnolo both use the same pattern but be gentle, those Campagnolo cups mark very easily.

Wavy washer coil thing is a bearing preload spring to compensate for differences in BB shell width. Black thing is a seal that goes over it. They are referred to as "spring and gasket" on p6 of your pdf. So it goes:
  1. Cups
  2. DS crank
  3. Spring clip on DS cup
  4. Spring and gasket onto NDS
  5. NDS crank
  6. Crank bolt

Ahah...and it all becomes Tab clear. :thumbsup:

That thread lock yellow stuff took some googling, people seem split as to its worth. I got the first cup in by hand, not the DS though. Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers.

Svendo

Guru
When the local LBS installed the cups in my current BB the mechanic used a section of plastic sheeting from bike packaging to go over the cup before putting the BB spanner on, which worked well in tightening the fit to prevent knuckle damage and preventing marking of the cups. In my subsequent fettling I've not bothered and they're now a bit worn. (it also needed some bits pressing in, it's a PF30 adapter, and I don't have a bearing press, hence LBS.)

BikeCurious

Über Member
Hand tight is probably good enough for Powertorque cups I think, as they slather them with threadlock

Hand tight!? I'd have thought that was nowhere near tight enough. I don't think you'd even be able to get the cups flush with the frame with that threadlock on using just hands. On the side of the cups and in the instructions it says tighten to 35Nm which is pretty damn tight. As for the threadlock when I installed my Power Torque cups a few weeks ago I cleaned it off and added my own grease across all the threads. The provided threadlock only covers the last few threads so the rest is unprotected from corrosion/seizing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Hand tight!? I'd have thought that was nowhere near tight enough. I don't think you'd even be able to get the cups flush with the frame with that threadlock on using just hands. On the side of the cups and in the instructions it says tighten to 35Nm which is pretty damn tight. As for the threadlock when I installed my Power Torque cups a few weeks ago I cleaned it off and added my own grease across all the threads. The provided threadlock only covers the last few threads so the rest is unprotected from corrosion/seizing.

But that's the point of thread lock isn't it? Clean it off and yes you need 35Nm to keep it on.

Anyhow, my bb tool would affix to a torque wrench, so they are merely "damn tight" and yes it scratched the hell out of the cups despite using plastic or cloth to protect them.

Looking down this morning, the left crank looks unusual:
image.jpeg

Feels great to ride. :smile:

Top Bottom