Bought a new bike :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tango_kid

Well, after ages scouring ebay for cheap bikes and nothing coming up i managed to find a GT GTR series four with carbon forks, sora shifters and tiagra gears for a lowly £206.00!! Very happy!! I need to lower the seat a little as its really tall, but thats an easy job.. Then i need to buy cleats and cycling shoes (totaly lost here, currently thinking of riding to local cycling shop to see what the cleats are and if they have any...but is it ok to ride on clipless pedals with normal shoes?? And where is the ***cheapest*** place to get cycling shoes?? As i have very little cash following my bike buying experdition (i never seem to have money...yay). But yeah, so when i've got that sorted i will be all set to go out and get my legs spinning :biggrin: So chuffed :tongue:
Cheers,
M

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nice buy :smile:

I would not try to ride very far on clipless pedals in normal shoes , i have tried and you do not really have enough of a pedal to pedal efficiently and you feet could easily slip off.

If you are not used to riding clipless it might be easier to get a pair of clipped pedals cheap till you are confident riding the bike then look into going clipless later .
There are SPD type pedals which have a small metal cleat recessed into the shoe or a road pedal that clips into a triangular cleat on thew bottom of the shoe, each have their merits.Depending on how old the bike is it might be easier to buy a new set of pedals and shoes to match your preference as the bearing do eventually wear out.

OP
OP
T

tango_kid

Well i was going to stick some normal flats on and see how that went, but the guy i bought it off said he couldn't get the pedals off when he tried!! (wasnt goin to sell the pedals but had no choice :tongue: ) So i dont know, i think i shall take a photo on my phone and take it to the bike shop. From what i've heard i think they are spd mountain bike style clipless pedals...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have some clipless pedals & cleats in the garage that you can have for a small donation to CC, Cant remember make, but they were my first clipless pedals & I struggled with them. They are single sided pedals & metal cleats. If you are interested I'll have a look in the garage tomorrow & get more info & photos :thumbsup:

Or I have a pair of These but no spare cleats for these

OP
OP
T

tango_kid

Well after a little morning work i've managed to adjust seat size so its perfect :smile: And I have removed one pedal (the others proved to be a complete sod...) so i have now identified the perals as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-P...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5192cd7daa

So now i just need to buy cleats and shoes to fit. Thankyou very kindly soltydog, I was very tempted concerning your offer, but as i have pedals and they seem to want to stay (one very much so :@ ) I think i will just go and buy some cleats and try and find some really rough shoes for cheap (like £10 cycling shoes... should be easy to find...not...).

Cheers,
Mike

adds21

Rider of bikes
Well after a little morning work i've managed to adjust seat size so its perfect :smile: And I have removed one pedal (the others proved to be a complete sod...) so i have now identified the perals as these: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5192cd7daa

Don't forget the left pedal has a reverse thread, so you have to turn it clockwise to undo it...

I normally find a spray of WD40 or GT85 and a 5 minute wait helps.

rsvdaz

those are spd pedals.

for really cheap spd shoes watch the lidl offers they sell them but they are rather clunky.

if you want more streamline try ebay..around the £40-45 price

you should be able to get cleats for around 8 quid..again ebay

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have a look at dhb spd shoes on Wiggle. I bought some for about £35 and find them great. I also have a pair of Lidls £15 mountain bike spd shoes.Comfortable and great for walking in but quite heavy.

OP
OP
T

tango_kid

Well the guy had locktighted the pedal so....yeah we broke a spanner and an allen key getting it off :tongue: On the plus side, removing thoes pedals allowed me to fit old mountain bike pedals so i could take the beast for a quick 8 mile spin before tea :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Great fun!! I have ordered the cleats, now just need to save upfor the shoes as i can't really afford them at the minute, have found these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23168
The wiggle ones seem to be a bit more expensive than that at the minute and i couldn't find any nice ones on ebay... ah well, i have a road bike... im happy :tongue:

M

Top Bottom