Bought my first carbon bike today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spiderman2

Über Member
I was interested in the specific bearing compound you have used because I’ve got a similar problem on my bike which I am trying to solve. I’ve never had need for bearing compound before so need to buy some and there are obviously lots available.

I've searched and found stuff like Loctite 641 which is a medium strength. Then there is the stronger Loctite 638, I’m guessing each will give different results. What I’d really like to know is what people have actually used that sorted it out. If you can help I would appreciate it.
Loctite 641 cured mine on my specialized roubaix

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My loaded steel tourer once fell against the corner of a brick wall resulting in a nasty scratch. Carbon composite is strong but lacks surface toughness. Ride hard but handle with care.

I can't be arsed with anything that has to be molly coddled in case it falls over or takes a knock. Bikes should be tough and robust. I'm careful with my "good" bikes because I don't want to mess them up cosmetically with scrapes and dings, but if the worst happens and one does take a whack I want to be able to shrug it off and carry on riding it with total confidence, knowing that all it has is a scrape or dent, not a hidden crack that might suddenly fail.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The Decathlon bike was an absolute belter at the time it was first released. A wee bit different and at the £1k price point , which compared with the boardman offering from Halfords. Again another decent bike , just the bike snobs turned up their nose. My best bike is a Raleigh Militis , it flys but it’s not my favourite. It has the BF30 BB, no creaks from it but I do or did regularly clean it and grease the crank and bearing faces. Funnily enough I’ve had nothing but bother with HH2 BB on my now favourite CX bike ! Weird eh! I think the Mach 720 has decent clearance for possibly 28c tyres but I might be wrong. As others have said do not over tighten screws especially on carbon but that also apply to the other frame materials. Ride it enjoy it and don’t worry about it exploding as all the luddites and doom mongers in here will tell you :-D

Top Bottom