Bought myself a new bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c00kiemonster72

After many many years not riding a bike, I've recently bought a Raleigh Mountain Bike to ride for pleasure and for exercise.

I encounter a problem when riding with my hands and fingers going numb after about 30mins cycling.

My friends and family think I'm not relaxed enough on the bike, and that this is why it's happening. I'm not sure, but I do find I'm constantly having to re position my hands as they feel uncomfortable while riding.

I was wondering if it's anything to do with the front suspension on the bike, as I'm quite heavy and I naturally push the suspension down quite a bit by just sitting on the bike. So I was thinking it's the riding position I'm in as I feel I in a leaning down position (if you get what I mean)

To further help with advice, it's a Raleigh AT10 20" frame 26" wheels and I'm over 20st and over 6' tall.

betty swollocks

large member
Try wrapping your hands round the handlebars more - with your knuckles pointing to the front rather than up. If you have not got them, try using bar ends or wear mitts or both.

Berties

Fast and careful!
It's pressure on your nular nerve,if you put your hands behind your back open and close hands it goes instantly that's the quick fix,
long term wear gel gloves ,do not grip bars so tight,look at ride position and bike fit ,move hands slightly,
I try to drop My chin down to my chest when I can this is supposed to help,google ulnar nerve there is plenty of reading ,for many it does get better!
Good luck

sidevalve

Über Member
I would second the above for padded gloves but I wonder if you are not putting a little too much weight to the front. Try lowering the saddle / raising the bars a tad [this may not be the ideal position but if if you're having trouble this won't matter at the mo].

+1 for position on the bike. As sidevalve says you're getting too much weight forwards IMO.

Tweak the position of the bars, (up) and saddle, (down), but don't forget also that your body is adjusting to something new as well.

You're not used to being in that position, so there may be a learning curve as your body adapts, BUT, you don't want it to adapt to a bad position either!

So, sort the position, wear padded gloves, and see how you go.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Also, make sure that the brake levers are at the correct angle on the bars. Many riders ride with their fingers covering the brakes, and if these are set too horizontal it means your wrists are constantly "cocked" leading to the symptoms you describe.
Undo the Allen bolt on the clamp just enough for the clamps to rotate and swivel the levers so that they are in a line downwards with your forearms. Most shops set them too horizontal, whereas they should be set for you.

You may need to alter the gear shifters as well, but while you're at it you can set the levers inboard a wee bit so that you can wrap your entire hand around the grip without catching on the shifters, and so that you can brake with the forefinger and middle finger only. This unhindered "wrap" will also help to keep your hands and wrists in line with your forearms.

Edit

Found a vid:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecUCCJW9yc

Top Bottom