Bought used Cannondale Optimo 2 - questions on assembling headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tookurjob

As you can see, the top spacer is moving after assembly. I am pretty sure that top spacer is supposed to be quite firm.
spacer_moving_2.jpg

Here are all the parts I found after disassembly. Anything missing from this leading to loose headset?

set.jpg

Not sure why this is not seated correctly
bottom_bearing.jpg

Is this expander + top cap supposed to go into the head tube directly? I don't under the mechanism of this. So the top cap can be screwed separately but so can the bolt inside of this piece (whatever its name is?)
expander.jpg

I couldn't seem to find any instructions on this assembly or figure out the missing piece. The headset seems be called "SI integrated System".

OP
OP
T

tookurjob

compression_ring.jpg

Is this the correct way to put the compression ring i.e. inside the top bearing?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As you can see, the top spacer is moving after assembly. I am pretty sure that top spacer is supposed to be quite firm.
View attachment 689657
Here are all the parts I found after disassembly. Anything missing from this leading to loose headset?

View attachment 689659

Not sure why this is not seated correctly
View attachment 689660

Is this expander + top cap supposed to go into the head tube directly? I don't under the mechanism of this. So the top cap can be screwed separately but so can the bolt inside of this piece (whatever its name is?)
View attachment 689662

I couldn't seem to find any instructions on this assembly or figure out the missing piece. The headset seems be called "SI integrated System".

The aluminium piece is called a bung. it has to be tightened in place (Not too much torque so you don't over stress the steerer) before you tighten the top cap to remove slack in the bearings.

Big John

Guru
Unless I'm going daft that spacer simply isn't needed. It's not sitting on the steerer tube, which is where a spacer should sit whether it's below or above the stem. Just take it off and see what happens when you tighten everything up.

boydj

Legendary Member
The top cap should be tightening onto a spacer or the stem. It looks like yours is tightening onto the top of the steerer.

Reactions: C R

Jameshow

Veteran
Some people also suggest putting a spacer or two above the stem so that it isn't clamping the edge of the stear tube?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom