Bourg d’Osians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a decent company that does guided tours from Oisans, or has anyone just booked accommodation and done the nearby iconic Cols self guided ? Can’t be that hard with local routes from tourist office or GPX files etc. A guided trip is good also without the hassle of meals, transfers etc and the benefit of local knowledge.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just booked B&B accommodation when I stayed there in June (probably not the cheapest option, though). Le Bourg-d'Oisans has ample supply of accommodation of various types, and plenty of restaurants also. There's a long list of rides to be done starting/finishing there, with heaps of climbing.

"More Than 21 Bends" is the B&B I stayed at in June, see here:

Google Maps link
B&B web site

johnblack

Über Member
We did self supported last year at the Tour, stayed nearer to Allemond which is about 7-8 miles away straight along a bike track by the river, plenty of nice places there too. We stayed in a lodge, called Le Sardonnier owned by an absolutely ace English woman who cooked our breakfast and dinner each day, would highly recommend.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a decent company that does guided tours from Oisans, or has anyone just booked accommodation and done the nearby iconic Cols self guided ? Can’t be that hard with local routes from tourist office or GPX files etc. A guided trip is good also without the hassle of meals, transfers etc and the benefit of local knowledge.
Although I can't help with the 'guided tours' option, I was lucky to be invited on my buddy's cycling club trip to Bourg a couple of years ago.
We stayed in the B&B accommodation (Le Vélo Jaune) mentioned in that journal; it's a coupla k outside Bourg, but handy for plenty of renowned and other climbs. Good accommodation, good food, and with a bar next door ... should you need one! The hosts at the time were cyclists and provided plenty of local knowledge; dunno whether they're still there. We did self-guided day outings, sometimes as a whole group, sometimes in smaller groups. I'd recommend it!

Big T

Guru
We stayed at the Belledone campsite, near Allemond, at the bottom of the Croix de Fer climb - about 4 miles down the road from Bourg D’Oisans. We actually stayed in a chalet, not a tent. You don’t need a guide or even a GPS file. The local tourist info has a paper guide to the top 30 climbs in the area with maps, which includes all of the iconic ones and a few obscure ones too. There are so few roads that you just ride along the valley, pick your climb and ride up it. Alpe dHuez, Glandon/Croix de Fer, Col D’Ornon, Les 2 Alpes, Lauteret/Galibier all lead off the valley.

PS - my profile picture is taken near the top of the Galibier. This was in mid-June and there was still plenty of snow that high up, though none on the road itself.The pass doesn’t open until early May each year, due to snow blockage.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Although I can't help with the 'guided tours' option, I was lucky to be invited on my buddy's cycling club trip to Bourg a couple of years ago.
We stayed in the B&B accommodation (Le Vélo Jaune) mentioned in that journal; it's a coupla k outside Bourg, but handy for plenty of renowned and other climbs. Good accommodation, good food, and with a bar next door ... should you need one! The hosts at the time were cyclists and provided plenty of local knowledge; dunno whether they're still there. We did self-guided day outings, sometimes as a whole group, sometimes in smaller groups. I'd recommend it!
I think Le Vélo Jaune is still running: I enquired in December about accommodation there, but I'd left it too late and they were full during my target trip period.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
I just booked B&B accommodation when I stayed there in June (probably not the cheapest option, though). Le Bourg-d'Oisans has ample supply of accommodation of various types, and plenty of restaurants also. There's a long list of rides to be done starting/finishing there, with heaps of climbing.

"More Than 21 Bends" is the B&B I stayed at in June, see here:

Google Maps link
B&B web site
What did you do about transfers from the airport ?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What did you do about transfers from the airport ?
Helen, the B&B owner and manager, picked me up at Grenoble train station and drove me to the B&B, but for an additional price. You can also take public transport from Grenoble or Lyon (there was information at the B&B, and on their web site, about this). Detailed instructions on getting there yourself are here: https://www.morethan21bends.com/howtogettobourgdoisans.aspx

Regards,

--- Victor.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Top Bottom